Finding Magnitude of F - Vector E & Vector F Homework

• Thread starter Allura
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnitude
In summary, the magnitude of a vector is calculated using the formula √(x² + y²), where x and y are the components of the vector in the x and y directions, respectively. It represents the length or size of the vector and is directly related to its components. The magnitude cannot be negative and is typically measured in the same units as its components. In three-dimensional space, the magnitude is calculated using the formula √(x² + y² + z²), where x, y, and z are the components of the vector in the x, y, and z directions, respectively.
Allura

Homework Statement

Let vector E = (10 i + 1 j) and vector F = (5 i - 5 j). Find the magnitude of F

Homework Equations

I thought it would just be 5^2 - 5^2 which equals 25-25, all square rooted.

The Attempt at a Solution

I keep getting 0 but it's not right. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, got it!

1. What is the formula for finding the magnitude of a vector?

The formula for finding the magnitude of a vector is √(x² + y²), where x and y are the components of the vector in the x and y directions, respectively.

2. How is the magnitude of a vector related to its components?

The magnitude of a vector represents its length or size, and is directly related to the components of the vector. The x and y components represent the horizontal and vertical lengths of the vector, and the magnitude is the hypotenuse of a right triangle formed by the x and y components.

3. Can the magnitude of a vector be negative?

No, the magnitude of a vector is always a positive value. It represents the distance or length of the vector and cannot be negative.

4. What units are used to measure the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector is typically measured in the same units as its components. For example, if the x and y components of a vector are measured in meters, then the magnitude of the vector will also be measured in meters.

5. How is the magnitude of a vector calculated in three-dimensional space?

In three-dimensional space, the magnitude of a vector is calculated using the formula √(x² + y² + z²), where x, y, and z are the components of the vector in the x, y, and z directions, respectively.