Finding Magnitude Homework: Inequality for Moving Blocks Together

• Thread starter Physicsnoob90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnitude
In summary, the problem involves two blocks stacked on top of each other with masses m1 and m2 and a coefficient of friction between them. The magnitude of force acting horizontally on m1 needs to be expressed as an inequality for the blocks to move together without sliding. The relevant equations are μk= 0.40 and μs= 0.50 and m1/m2 = 3.0. To solve the problem, the masses can be represented as 3m and m for some unknown m, and will cancel out later in the solution.
Physicsnoob90

Homework Statement

Two blocks are stacked one on top of the other with mass m1 on top and m1/m2= 3.0. There is no friction between m2 and the ground, but the coefficient of friction between m1 and m2 are given by μk= 0.40 and μs= 0.50. For what magnitudes of force acting horizontally on m1 do the two blocks move together. (i.e. , no slide on one another), express answer as an inequality.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i already written down all forces acting on both blocks but i am having issues finding the masses since m1/m2 = 3.0

Physics news on Phys.org
A classic. You have to show your work before anyone can help you. Also list the relevant equations.

Physicsnoob90 said:
i am having issues finding the masses since m1/m2 = 3.0
So write the masses as 3m and m, for some unknown m. Trust the question - the m's will cancel later.

1. What is the purpose of "Finding Magnitude Homework: Inequality for Moving Blocks Together"?

The purpose of this homework assignment is to practice using inequalities to solve problems related to moving blocks with different magnitudes. This skill is essential for understanding and solving problems related to motion and forces in physics and other sciences.

2. What are some key concepts that are covered in this homework assignment?

Some key concepts covered in this homework assignment include magnitude, inequality, motion, and force. Students will also practice converting between different units of measurement, such as distance and time, to solve problems.

3. How can I approach solving problems in this homework assignment?

The first step is to carefully read and understand the problem. Next, identify the given information and what is being asked. Then, use the given information to set up an inequality equation and solve for the unknown variable. Finally, check your answer and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

4. Can I use any calculator to complete this homework assignment?

Yes, you can use any calculator that allows you to perform basic arithmetic operations and solve equations. However, it is recommended to practice solving problems by hand to better understand the concepts and to ensure accuracy in your calculations.

5. How can I check my work for this homework assignment?

You can check your work by plugging your final answer back into the original problem and making sure it satisfies the given conditions. You can also use online resources or ask your teacher for help and clarification if needed.