1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Magnitudes of Vectors

1. Sep 5, 2010 #1
    I am pretty good at this but this one seems impossible to figure out. Can anyone help?

Vector A has a magnitude of 188 units and points 30 degrees north of west. Vector B points 50 degrees East of North. Vector C points 20 degrees West of South. These three vectors add to give a resultant vector that is zero. Using COMPONENTS method, find the magnitudes of Vector B and Vector C.

Thanks in Advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2010 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First of all DRAW A PICTURE.
    That's about the first rule in vector problems.

Next, let me give you some small sub-problems to get you started... can you rewrite the directions of A, B and C as angles with respect to the x-axis (i.e. east direction)?
    Assuming that |B| and |C| are the magnitudes of vector B and C respectively, can you write down what the x- and y-components (Ax, Ay, Bx, By, Cx, Cy) of the three vectors will be?
    What relations between these components follow from the resultant being zero?

4. Sep 5, 2010 #3
    Thanks for the reply CompuChip. I am finding it difficult to find 2 variables (the magnitudes of B and C) based on a couple of other variables.

My Physics teacher wrote this to help us out.

Rx=Ax+Bx+Cx
    =()+()B+()C

Ry=Ay+By+Cy
    =()+()B+()C

I understand that this is how the problem reads numerically, but I don't understand how to solve.

5. Sep 5, 2010 #4
    Ok so I did the problem graphically and obtained the correct answers. I verified these answers by plugging them into the calculator. How would I show my work on paper?

6. Sep 5, 2010 #5

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Officially, you can solve the system of two equations in two unknowns.

For example, you can rewrite equation (**) to an equation for either B, or C, for example: B = (Ry - () - ()C) / (). Then you can replace B in equation (*) and solve the remaining equation in one variable for C.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook