Finding Magnitudes of Vectors Using the COMPONENTS Method

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to solve a vector problem using the COMPONENTS method. The problem involves finding the magnitudes of vector B and C, which add to give a resultant vector of zero. The conversation suggests drawing a picture and breaking the problem into smaller sub-problems. It also mentions using equations to solve for the unknown variables. The final solution involves solving a system of two equations in two unknowns.
crossxfire2
I am pretty good at this but this one seems impossible to figure out. Can anyone help?

Vector A has a magnitude of 188 units and points 30 degrees north of west. Vector B points 50 degrees East of North. Vector C points 20 degrees West of South. These three vectors add to give a resultant vector that is zero. Using COMPONENTS method, find the magnitudes of Vector B and Vector C.

Thanks in Advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all DRAW A PICTURE.
That's about the first rule in vector problems.

Next, let me give you some small sub-problems to get you started... can you rewrite the directions of A, B and C as angles with respect to the x-axis (i.e. east direction)?
Assuming that |B| and |C| are the magnitudes of vector B and C respectively, can you write down what the x- and y-components (Ax, Ay, Bx, By, Cx, Cy) of the three vectors will be?
What relations between these components follow from the resultant being zero?

Thanks for the reply CompuChip. I am finding it difficult to find 2 variables (the magnitudes of B and C) based on a couple of other variables.

My Physics teacher wrote this to help us out.

Rx=Ax+Bx+Cx
=()+()B+()C

Ry=Ay+By+Cy
=()+()B+()C

I understand that this is how the problem reads numerically, but I don't understand how to solve.

Ok so I did the problem graphically and obtained the correct answers. I verified these answers by plugging them into the calculator. How would I show my work on paper?

Officially, you can solve the system of two equations in two unknowns.

Rx=()+()B+()C (*)

Ry=()+()B+()C (**)
For example, you can rewrite equation (**) to an equation for either B, or C, for example: B = (Ry - () - ()C) / (). Then you can replace B in equation (*) and solve the remaining equation in one variable for C.

1. What is a vector magnitude?

The magnitude of a vector is its length or size, and it is represented by a numerical value. It is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squared components of the vector.

2. How do you find the magnitude of a vector?

To find the magnitude of a vector, you first need to determine the components of the vector. Then, square each component, add them together, and take the square root of the sum. This calculation is known as the Pythagorean theorem.

3. What is the difference between magnitude and direction of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector represents its size or length, while the direction of a vector represents its orientation or angle with respect to a reference point. Both magnitude and direction are essential in fully describing a vector.

4. Can a vector have a negative magnitude?

No, the magnitude of a vector is always a positive value. If a vector has a negative direction, it simply means that it is pointing in the opposite direction from the reference point.

5. How does the magnitude of a vector affect its properties?

The magnitude of a vector affects its properties in many ways. For example, the magnitude of a force vector determines the strength of the force, and the magnitude of a velocity vector determines the speed of an object. In general, a larger magnitude indicates a stronger or faster vector.