Finding Mass Only Given Force

• Thread starter TheOGBacon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Mass
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the mass of a book exerting a force of 19.6 Newtons on a desk. The attempt at a solution involves using the formula M= Force/Acceleration, but the acceleration is unknown. Another approach is suggested, considering the book's acceleration is zero and using a free body diagram to determine the forces acting on the book.
TheOGBacon

Homework Statement

A book exerts a force of 19.6 Newtons on the top of a desk. What is it's mass?

Homework Equations

M= Force/Acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the acceleration formula, but that only added more variables.

Physics news on Phys.org
TheOGBacon said:
I tried using the acceleration formula, but that only added more variables.
Really? What is the acceleration due to gravity?

I meant I tried using the acceleration formula to get an expression that I could plug in for my force equation.

TheOGBacon said:
meant I tried using the acceleration formula
That's the one you quoted in post #1, right?
You have a force, you want to find the mass, so all you need is an acceleration, yes?
Presumably, the force is the weight of the book. If an object has mass m, what is its weight?

TheOGBacon said:
I meant I tried using the acceleration formula to get an expression that I could plug in for my force equation.
A somewhat different route to get there: When in doubt, always start with a free body diagram.

The acceleration of the book is zero. F=ma. So the net force on the book must be zero. What forces act on the book?

1. How do you find mass only given force?

To find mass only given force, you can use the formula F=ma, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared. Rearrange the formula to solve for m, which will give you the mass.

2. What is the unit for force?

The unit for force is Newtons (N). This unit is named after Sir Isaac Newton, a famous scientist who developed the laws of motion.

3. Can you find mass only given force without knowing the acceleration?

No, in order to find mass only given force, you need to know the acceleration. This is because mass and acceleration are directly proportional, meaning that the more mass an object has, the more force it will require to accelerate at a certain rate. Without knowing the acceleration, you cannot accurately find the mass.

4. How does finding mass only given force relate to Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Finding mass only given force relates to Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to the mass of the object. This means that in order to find mass, we need to know the force and the acceleration, which are both involved in this law.

5. Can you use this formula to find the mass of any object?

Yes, this formula can be used to find the mass of any object as long as you know the force acting on the object and the acceleration it experiences. This is because mass is a fundamental property of matter and can be calculated using this formula.