Math Problem Solving: Resources for Fun & Learning

• Thread starter Arman777
  • Start date
In summary, Peter Winkler has a book of mathematical puzzles that is good for recreational math enthusiasts, and 538 has a weekly problem column where you can solve challenges for a prize.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
Me and my friend are trying to find some math problems that we solve for fun it could be logical problems or geometric or algebraic, any sites that you can offer me ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Arman777 said:
Me and my friend are trying to find some math problems that we solve for fun it could be logical problems or geometric or algebraic, any sites that you can offer me ?

You could check out 'Mathematical Puzzles: A Connoisseur's Collection' by Peter Winkler.

highflyyer said:
You could check out 'Mathematical Puzzles: A Connoisseur's Collection' by Peter Winkler.
It's nice thanks :D

Likes highflyyer
Martin Gardner has some very good stuff in this vein. You should be able to pick up a book of his very cheaply or maybe find some of the old articles he wrote on the Internet. While his original writings are tagged Recreational Math, I think some of them became actual subfields of mathematical inquiry.

I am also a fan of Mosteller's 50 Challenging Problems in Probability which may be the best 5 bucks I've spent.

The weekly problems in 538's The Riddler are fun (but can end up eating up a lot more time than you budgeted):

https://fivethirtyeight.com/tag/the-riddler/

- - - - - - - - -
There are a lot of open problems here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/math-challenges-and-potw.259/

still including, I think, a prize to whoever solves the origami challenge.

(This links is similar to but different than the one posted by @fresh_42 )

Likes Arman777
Thanks for the links and the books they look great.We will try them.
Greg Bernhardt said:
I can post more POTW too if you want.

The books and the links will be enough for us. But in any case If you want to share sure, I wouldn't say no.

Likes StoneTemplePython

1. What is "Math Problem Solving: Resources for Fun & Learning"?

"Math Problem Solving: Resources for Fun & Learning" is a collection of educational materials and activities designed to make math problem solving engaging and enjoyable for students. It includes games, puzzles, and other interactive resources to help students develop their critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. Who is this resource intended for?

This resource is intended for students of all ages who are interested in improving their math problem solving abilities. It can be used by teachers in the classroom, parents at home, or individuals looking for fun and challenging math activities.

3. How can this resource benefit students?

This resource can benefit students by making math problem solving more enjoyable and engaging. It can also help students develop their critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are important for academic success in math and other subjects.

4. Are the resources suitable for all levels of math?

Yes, the resources in "Math Problem Solving: Resources for Fun & Learning" cover a range of math topics and can be adapted for different levels of difficulty. Whether you are a beginner or an advanced math student, there are activities and challenges that will be both fun and challenging for you.

5. Is this resource only for students who struggle with math?

No, this resource is for all students who are interested in improving their math problem solving skills. Even if you are already a strong math student, these resources can provide you with new and fun ways to practice and refine your skills.