Finding max elastic energy of a bow

In summary, elastic energy is the potential energy stored in an elastic material when it is stretched or compressed. The maximum elastic energy of a bow can be determined by measuring the amount of force required to pull the bowstring back to its maximum draw length. It is affected by factors such as the stiffness of the bow's limbs, draw weight, length of the bowstring, and material of the bowstring. This maximum elastic energy can be increased by using a stiffer or longer bow, increasing the draw weight, or using a more elastic bowstring material. In archery, the maximum elastic energy of a bow is utilized to propel the arrow forward with greater force and speed, allowing for longer and more accurate shots.
spanky489
Hi guys, I am trying to find the theoretical maximum elastic energy of a bow with a constant square cross section with its moment of inertia I, made from a homogenous material throughout the whole length so we can say that the Youngs modulus E is also constant. This bow is attached to a string on both ends and to simplify the problem let's say that the forces pulling both ends are always transverse/tangential in reference to the cross section.

This is the first thing I am trying to calculate and is also the prerequisite to calculating the maximum initial velocity of the arrow being launched by the bow.

th_Image_zps5a378354.jpg

i know that i need to find the yield strength of the material and through Hooke's law solve the force that causes the maximum strain. The problem I am facing is that i do not know which theory to apply to this problem. If the deflections weren't so big i would use the euler-bernoulli equations but since that won't work here i was thinking of using the von karman strains.

while searching for information i came across this doctors dissertation which could also be useful in my case but I am not sure how it fares with von karman strains in this situation.

any help at all will be appreciated.

thanks
spanky

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi spanky,

To find the maximum elastic energy of the bow, you can use the formula for elastic potential energy: PE = 1/2 * k * x^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position. In this case, the spring constant can be calculated using Hooke's law: F = k * x, where F is the force applied to the bow and x is the displacement.

To find the maximum strain, you can use the formula for strain: ε = ΔL/L, where ΔL is the change in length and L is the original length. The force that causes the maximum strain is the yield strength of the material.

As for which theory to apply, it would depend on the specific properties of the material and the geometry of the bow. Both the Euler-Bernoulli equations and the von Karman strains can be used, but it would be best to consult with a materials expert or perform some experiments to determine the most accurate approach for your specific case.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your calculations!

1. What is the definition of elastic energy?

Elastic energy is the potential energy stored in an elastic material when it is stretched or compressed.

2. How is the maximum elastic energy of a bow determined?

The maximum elastic energy of a bow can be determined by measuring the amount of force required to pull the bowstring back to its maximum draw length.

3. What factors affect the amount of elastic energy in a bow?

The amount of elastic energy in a bow is affected by the stiffness of the bow's limbs, the draw weight, the length of the bowstring, and the material of the bowstring.

4. Can the maximum elastic energy of a bow be increased?

Yes, the maximum elastic energy of a bow can be increased by using a stiffer or longer bow, increasing the draw weight, or using a more elastic bowstring material.

5. How is the maximum elastic energy of a bow used in archery?

The maximum elastic energy of a bow is used in archery to propel the arrow forward with greater force and speed, allowing for longer and more accurate shots.