Find Max Height for Basketball Throw: Is 9.8 Correct?

In summary, the ball's greatest height above the floor can be determined by using the formula y = 1/2*g*t^2, where t is the time it takes for the ball to bounce back to the floor. However, the formula (9.8)(1.4)(.5)(1.4)^2(9.81) used by the person in the conversation is not necessary and may result in the wrong answer.
wadini
Wrongly called for a foul, an angry basketball player throws the ball straight down to the floor if the ball bounces straight up and returns to the floor 2.8 s after first striking it, what was the ball's greatest height above the floor?

I keep getting the wrong answer I am plugging in (9.8)(1.4)(.5)(1.4)^2(9.81)

Am I anywhere close?

Physics news on Phys.org
wadini said:
Wrongly called for a foul, an angry basketball player throws the ball straight down to the floor if the ball bounces straight up and returns to the floor 2.8 s after first striking it, what was the ball's greatest height above the floor?

I keep getting the wrong answer I am plugging in (9.8)(1.4)(.5)(1.4)^2(9.81)

Am I anywhere close?

Welcome to PF.

Well ... looks like a few too many factors to have the right answer.

You know the time and so 1/2 will be time to max height ... you got that part.

But the distance it will fall in 1.4s is really given a bit more simply by

y = 1/2*g*t2

I cannot provide an answer to this question without more information. It is important to note that the formula for finding the maximum height of an object thrown straight up is not applicable in this scenario, as the ball was thrown straight down and bounced back up. Additionally, the given information does not include the initial velocity or acceleration of the ball, which are necessary for calculating the maximum height. Without this information, it is impossible to accurately determine the ball's greatest height above the floor. I recommend revisiting the problem and including all relevant information in your calculations.

1. How is the acceleration due to gravity related to finding the maximum height for a basketball throw?

The acceleration due to gravity, which is commonly represented as 9.8 m/s², affects the trajectory of the basketball as it is thrown into the air. This acceleration helps determine the maximum height the ball will reach before falling back to the ground.

2. Why is 9.8 often used as the value for acceleration due to gravity?

The value of 9.8 m/s² is a commonly accepted approximation for the acceleration due to gravity on Earth. It accounts for variations in gravity caused by factors such as altitude and latitude, making it a convenient and widely used value for calculations.

3. Is the value of 9.8 always accurate for calculating the maximum height of a basketball throw?

No, the value of 9.8 is an approximation and may not always be completely accurate. Factors such as air resistance, release angle, and the strength of the throw also affect the maximum height reached by the basketball. However, for most practical purposes, 9.8 is a reliable and convenient value to use.

4. Are there any other methods for finding the maximum height of a basketball throw?

Yes, there are other methods for calculating the maximum height of a basketball throw. These include using mathematical equations such as the kinematic equations or using motion sensors to track the trajectory of the basketball. However, the method of using 9.8 as the constant value for acceleration due to gravity is a commonly used and straightforward approach.

5. How does the maximum height of a basketball throw relate to the distance it travels?

The maximum height of a basketball throw is an important factor in determining the distance the ball will travel. As the ball reaches its maximum height, it has the most potential energy before it begins to fall back to the ground. This potential energy is then converted into kinetic energy as the ball travels forward, resulting in a longer distance traveled.