1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding maximum likelihood function for 2 normally distributed samples

1. Apr 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question is about how to combine to different samples done with 2 different methods of the same phenomena.

Method 1 gives normally distributed variables [itex]X_1,X_2,...X_{n_1}[/itex], with [itex]\mu[/itex] and [itex]\sigma^2_1[/itex]

Method 1 gives normally distributed variables [itex]Y_1,Y_2,...,Y_{n_2}[/itex], with [itex]\mu[/itex] and [itex]\sigma^2_2[/itex]

All measurements can be considered independent.

Define [itex]\overline{X}=1/n_1*\Sigma^{n_1}_{i=1}X_i[/itex] and [itex]\overline{Y}={1/n_2}*\Sigma^{n_2}_{j=1}Y_j[/itex]

Both the samples are taken from the same population so they have the same [itex]\mu[/itex]

The question is set up a likelihood function for the [itex]n_1 + n_2[/itex] measurements, and show that the maximum likelihood estimator is given by

[itex]\mu_{mle}={(\sigma^2_2n_1\overline{X}+\sigma_1^2n_2\overline{Y})/(\sigma_2^2n_1+\sigma^2_1n_1)}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

The likelihood function for 1 sample of a normally distributed function.

[itex]L(\mu)=L(X_1,X_2,...X_n;\mu,\sigma^2)=1/((2\pi\sigma^2)^{n/2})*e^{-1/2*\Sigma^{n}_{i=1}(X_i-\mu)/\sigma}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The main problem is that I don't know how I should handle the 2 samples instead of 1, I'm not sure how those two should combine.

Edit; I think I came up with the solution while I was writing up this which took quite some time since I don't know latex. I'll see when I try it out.

Since the measurement is presumed independent does the likelihood function become something like?

[itex]L(\mu)=L(X_1,X_2,...X_{n_1};\mu,\sigma^2_1)*L(Y_1,Y_2,...,Y_{n_2};\mu,\sigma_2^2)[/itex]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?