1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding mean energy of cosmic microwave background photons

1. Sep 8, 2008 #1
    Hello all,

I was recently assigned a problem in my modern physics class regarding finding the mean energy of Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) photons. The problem reads as follows:

The universe is permeated with primordial microwave radiation that has a mean wavelength of about 2.5 mm.

(a) Find the mean energy (in eV) of the CMB photons, given that the energy of a photon is related to its frequency by the relationship E = hf (where f=frequency), where h is Planck's constant.

(b) Consider a cosmic-ray proton that has total relativistic energy E in the CMB reference frame. Find E such that the Doppler shifted CMB photons striking the proton head-on have a mean energy of 100 MeV.

I believe I have solved (a), with the solution as follows:
    E = hf = h(c/wavelength)
    E(mean) = h(c/mean wavelength)
    = (4.136x10^-15 eV*s)[(3.0x10^8 m/s)/2.5x10^-3 m]
    = 4.963 x 10^-4 eV

The second part, (b), I have no idea how to find. Any help would be much appreciated!
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted