1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding mEq/L of Ba

1. Aug 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data Barium bromide BaBr2 (875.3 mg) was dissolved in water to make one liter of solution. Express the concentration in the following units: mEq/L of Ba.

2. Relevant equations Ba has a charge of 2+ which means it has 2 Eq in 1 mole.

3. The attempt at a solution First I changed the 875.3 mg into .8753 g of BaBr2. The thing that really confuses me is how do I know how many grams of Ba is in .8753 g of BaBr2? I understand how to do this problem if it asked for the mEq/L of BaBr2, but I'm stuck because I can't figure out how many grams of just Ba is in .8753g of BaBr2. Once I figure out the g of Ba I can convert it into moles since there are 137.3 g per mole of Ba.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2011 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why couldn't you do the same thing for BaBr2? Equivalents don't 'equate' to charge either.

example

H3PO4 <-------> 3H+ + PO4-3

In this example, there are three equivalents of H+ per mole of H3PO4 and only one equivalent of PO4-3. Notice how the number of equivalents are unrelated to the charge on the ions generated?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook