Maximizing and Minimizing Multivariable Equations

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d
In summary, the conversation is about finding the maximums and minimums of a multivariable equation, with the participants discussing different methods of solving this problem. One suggests setting the gradient of the function to zero and then determining whether the resulting points are minima, maxima, or saddle points. Another suggests a simpler method of setting the partial derivatives equal to zero and solving the resulting system of equations.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Hey guys I am very confused here.. I have no idea how to do this! I need to find the max/mins of this equation and I get lost after finding the partials.

[tex] f(x,y) = xy(1 - x - y) \\ [/tex]
[tex] f_x (x,y) = y - 2xy - y^2 \\ [/tex]
[tex] f_y (x,y) = x - x^2 - 2xy \\ [/tex]

I know I'm suppose to kinda do what you do with single variables... but I am getting lost with these multivariables... any help would be very much appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
To find relative extrema set the gradient of the function to zero. Once you've found candidates, you'll need to determine whether the points are minima, maxima or saddle points.

that doesn't seem like how we were being taught in the book. It seemed like they were doing it all algebraicly

more simply: set [tex]f_{x}=f_{y}=0[/tex] and solve the system for x and y

IOW, like benorin said, set the derivatives equal to zero.

1. How do you find the minimum and maximum values in a 3D graph?

To find the minimum and maximum values in a 3D graph, you can use the gradient function to calculate the slope or steepness at different points. The maximum value will be the steepest uphill direction, while the minimum value will be the steepest downhill direction.

2. Can you use calculus to find the minimum and maximum values in a 3D graph?

Yes, you can use calculus to find the minimum and maximum values in a 3D graph. Specifically, you can use the partial derivative function to find the slope or steepness in each direction, and then set these values to zero to find the points where the slope is equal to zero, indicating a maximum or minimum value.

3. What is the importance of finding minimum and maximum values in 3D graphs?

Finding minimum and maximum values in 3D graphs is important because it allows us to identify critical points and extreme values, which can help us understand the behavior and characteristics of a function in a specific region. These values can also be used to optimize a function or determine the best possible outcome in a given situation.

4. Is it possible to have multiple minimum or maximum values in a 3D graph?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple minimum or maximum values in a 3D graph. This can occur when there are multiple critical points or when the function has a flat region where the slope is equal to zero. In these cases, further analysis may be needed to determine which point is the global minimum or maximum.

5. Can finding minimum and maximum values in 3D graphs be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, finding minimum and maximum values in 3D graphs can be applied to real-world situations. For example, in engineering and physics, these values can help determine the optimal design for a structure or the maximum and minimum values of a physical quantity. In economics and business, these values can be used to determine the best strategies for maximizing profit or minimizing cost.