1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Mobieus mapping

1. Sep 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the Mobieus mapping that maps { z e C, |z| <= 1 } to a disk {z e C, |z - 1| <= 1} in a real axis.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have had an idea that Mobieus mapping is from C to C such that it is a homeomorfism and it has an inverse mapping.

I am not sure how you can use it for the mapping.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure you do know what a mobius map is. You should probably look it up. It's a map of the form f(z)=(az+b)/(cz+d) with a, b, c and d complex constants. All you need is a translation.

4. Oct 3, 2009 #3

Your answer suggests me to

1. to take the corners of the initial disk such as { (-1,0), (0,1), (1,0) } in x -axis
    2. to map them to the corner points { (1,0), (2,1), (3,0) } in the x-axis

I can change the Mobieus mapping from
    (az + b) / (cz + d) to (z + b) / (cz + d)
    by canceling the "stabilising" variable "a".

I should apparently have the z -coordinate in the mappings too.
    However, I do have three points which suggests me that I can find the Mobieus map:

(-1, 0, 1) -> (1, 2, 3)

I get the following mapping by calculating the equations
    M = z + 2,
    when b=2, c=0 and d=1.

5. Oct 4, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't understand what you are doing. What's wrong with f(z)=z+1? Unless I'm completely wrong about what the question is. You are just mapping one disk to another disk, right? What does 'in a real axis' mean?

6. Oct 4, 2009 #5
    It seems to mean that I need to map the circle to a real line such that the inner points of the circle of the circle are above the real axis while the corner points are on the axis.

f(z) = z + 1 seems to be too ok.
    Your mapping has the different selection of the corner points so you get different values for b, c and d.

I get the mapping by first selecting the following corner points of the circle and then mapping them to (1,2,3) such that (-1, 0, 1) -> (1, 2, 3).

This selection gives me the mobius mapping: f(z) = z + 2.

7. Oct 4, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, so you want to map the unit disk to the upper half plane? f(z)=z+2 definitely doesn't work. It generally easier to construct these maps by combining a few basic ones. See what the image of unit disk is under the map g(z)=1/(1-z). It's maps the disk to a half-plane. It's not the half-plane you want, but can you change the mapping so that it is?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook