Constructing a Mobieus Mapping from a Unit Disk to a Half-Plane

• Thread starter soopo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mapping
In summary, the conversation is discussing the task of finding a Mobieus mapping that maps the unit circle in the complex plane to a disk centered at (1,0) on the real axis. The conversation involves an explanation of what a Mobieus map is and how it can be used for this task, as well as a discussion of different approaches to constructing the mapping. The final conclusion is that the Mobieus mapping f(z) = z + 2 can be used for this task.
soopo

Homework Statement

Find the Mobieus mapping that maps { z e C, |z| <= 1 } to a disk {z e C, |z - 1| <= 1} in a real axis.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have had an idea that Mobieus mapping is from C to C such that it is a homeomorfism and it has an inverse mapping.

I am not sure how you can use it for the mapping.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure you do know what a mobius map is. You should probably look it up. It's a map of the form f(z)=(az+b)/(cz+d) with a, b, c and d complex constants. All you need is a translation.

Dick said:
I'm not sure you do know what a mobius map is. You should probably look it up. It's a map of the form f(z)=(az+b)/(cz+d) with a, b, c and d complex constants. All you need is a translation.

Your answer suggests me to

1. to take the corners of the initial disk such as { (-1,0), (0,1), (1,0) } in x -axis
2. to map them to the corner points { (1,0), (2,1), (3,0) } in the x-axis

I can change the Mobieus mapping from
(az + b) / (cz + d) to (z + b) / (cz + d)
by canceling the "stabilising" variable "a".

I should apparently have the z -coordinate in the mappings too.
However, I do have three points which suggests me that I can find the Mobieus map:

(-1, 0, 1) -> (1, 2, 3)

I get the following mapping by calculating the equations
M = z + 2,
when b=2, c=0 and d=1.

I don't understand what you are doing. What's wrong with f(z)=z+1? Unless I'm completely wrong about what the question is. You are just mapping one disk to another disk, right? What does 'in a real axis' mean?

Dick said:
I don't understand what you are doing. What's wrong with f(z)=z+1? Unless I'm completely wrong about what the question is. You are just mapping one disk to another disk, right? What does 'in a real axis' mean?

It seems to mean that I need to map the circle to a real line such that the inner points of the circle of the circle are above the real axis while the corner points are on the axis.

f(z) = z + 1 seems to be too ok.
Your mapping has the different selection of the corner points so you get different values for b, c and d.

I get the mapping by first selecting the following corner points of the circle and then mapping them to (1,2,3) such that (-1, 0, 1) -> (1, 2, 3).

This selection gives me the mobius mapping: f(z) = z + 2.

Ok, so you want to map the unit disk to the upper half plane? f(z)=z+2 definitely doesn't work. It generally easier to construct these maps by combining a few basic ones. See what the image of unit disk is under the map g(z)=1/(1-z). It's maps the disk to a half-plane. It's not the half-plane you want, but can you change the mapping so that it is?

1. What is Mobieus mapping?

Mobieus mapping, also known as the Mobieus transformation, is a mathematical concept used in geometry and complex analysis. It describes a transformation that maps points on a plane onto other points on the same plane in a specific way.

2. How is Mobieus mapping used in science?

Mobieus mapping has various applications in different fields of science. It is used in computer graphics, robotics, and physics to model and manipulate objects in 3D space. It is also used in fluid dynamics to study the flow of fluids and in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles.

3. What is the equation for Mobieus mapping?

The equation for Mobieus mapping is z' = (az + b) / (cz + d), where z is the original point and z' is the mapped point. The variables a, b, c, and d are complex numbers and determine the specific transformation.

4. Can Mobieus mapping be visualized?

Yes, Mobieus mapping can be visualized using 3D software or by creating physical models. The transformation can be seen as rotating, stretching, and shearing the original object in various ways. It can also be visualized on a 2D plane using complex numbers and mapping the points.

5. What are the practical uses of Mobieus mapping?

Mobieus mapping has practical uses in many scientific fields, such as computer graphics, physics, and engineering. It is also used in the study of fractals and chaos theory. In addition, it has applications in mapping and navigation, as well as in designing geometric patterns and shapes.