1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Mobius Transformation

1. Feb 9, 2012 #1
    I'm looking for the error in my understanding here, not help with the problem itself. I'm making some kind of mistake, so I've listed out everything I think I know, and I'm hoping someone can either tell me what I'm misunderstanding, or tell me there is an error in the problem statement:

Problem Statement: find the Mobius transformation taking the circle |z|=1 to |z+2|=1 such that T(-1)=-3 and T(i)=-1.

What I think:

*Both the circle and its image have radius 1, with the first centered at the origin and the second at -2.

*The additional points we are given mappings for are -1 and i, which are the endpoints to an arc of a quarter circle. These are mapping to -3 and -1 which are the bounds for the half circle. This implies the mapping is going around twice for once around the circle being mapped, which would imply it is not a bijection, and Mobius transformations are bijections.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure you can do it. You can map any three points in the complex plane to any other three points with a Mobius transformation, right? Just pick a third point on each of the two circles and that will fix a transformation. I haven't tried to visualize it in terms of dilations, rotations, etc.

4. Feb 9, 2012 #3
    Yes about the three points. My problem isn't so much with that, I'm okay calculating it, I'm just bothered by how it can work.

If I translate a circle, rotate a circle, or dilate a circle, or invert a circle, I don't see how points on a quarter arc could move to a half arc. Does my visualization problem make sense? I have to be understanding something incorrectly. Maybe inversion since the other three are so simple to visualize.

I tried finding examples, but in every example, the points stay in the same relative (for lack of a better word) location

5. Feb 9, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it's inversions. Replace |z+2|=1 with, say |z+100|=99. It should be visually clear that most of the points on the circle map to points near 0. z=(-1) and points nearby don't. It stretches angles on the circle. It's a good thing to visualize, keep it up!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  6. Feb 9, 2012 #5
    Thanks!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook