Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding modulus of continuity

1. Apr 28, 2009 #1
    Say f(x) = x^2 - 1 and I'm trying to prove that f is continuous, then I was told I CANNOT do this:

[tex] |x^2 - x_0^2| = |x-x_0||x+x_0| < \delta|x+x_0| = \epsilon [/tex]

because then our epsilon is relying on an x value. I was told I could restrict the x values to a closed neighborhood about the point x = x_0, and let epsilon rely on the end points, but I cannot let it rely on any x values like in the example shown.

Is this correct? And if it is, why is it?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, it's true. It's true because [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is supposed to be a constant and [itex]\delta|x+ x_0|[/itex] is not a constant. so "[itex]\delta|x+ x_0|= \epsilon[/itex] makes no sense.

What you can do is this: Since we only need look at x close to x0, assume |x- x0|< 1. The -1< x- x0< 1 so, adding 2x0 to each part, -1+ 2x0< x+ x_0< 1+ 2x0. The larger of those two numbers, in absolute value, is 1+ 2x0 so [itex]\delta|x+ x_0|< \delta(1+ 2x_0[/itex]. We must choose [itex]\delta[/itex] such that [itex]\delta(1+ 2x_0)< \epsilon[/itex]. Actually, because of the requirement that |x- x0|< 1, we must choose [itex]\delta[/itex] to be the smaller of that number and 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook