What is the molecular formula for nitrogen oxide?

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter chawki
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation discusses determining the molecular formula and molar mass of a gaseous nitrogen oxide. Using the equation 22.4=10.7/n and the knowledge of the molar mass of nitrogen oxide, the participants suggest possible formulas and determine that the closest one to the given molar mass of 44.68 g/mol is N2O1. However, due to rounding or possible mixtures, the exact molar mass may not be achieved.
chawki

Homework Statement

10.7 L of gaseous nitrogen oxide NxOy has a weight of 21.0 g (STP/NTP).

Homework Equations

Give the molecular formula for nitrogen oxide. The molar volume of gases (STP/NTP) = 22.4 l/mol

The Attempt at a Solution

22.4=10.7/n
n=0.47mol

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know..i'm not sure even that what i did above is right.
i mean the molar volume 22.4 = 10.7/n ?

and i know that 14x+16y= molar mass of nitrogen oxide, but it doesn't take us any further..

Sure it does, because you know that 0.47 moles of substance weigh 21.0 grams. Which is then the molar mass of the substance ?

The molar mass would be 21/0.47 =44.68g/mol
but then 14x+16y=44.68
how to find x,y

Well, x and y must be natural and could have values in the sets: [itex] x\in\left\{1,2,3\right\}, \, y\in\left\{1,2\right\} [/itex].

Which is the solution then ?

But we don't know. it can be anything...

It's not necessarily a problem of elementary math, but you must also use your knowledge of oxydes of nitrogen. Nitrogen is in v-th principle group and together with oxigen it could form (provided all would be stable) 5 possible oxydes.

So you've got mathematical solutions to a diophantic-type equation which should be sought in the set of all 5 possible oxydes of nitrogen.

For example: Can it be [itex] NO_2 [/itex] ? What's the molar mass ? How far is it from 44.68 grams/mol ? Can it be [itex] N_2 O ? [/itex] What's the molar mass ? How far is it from 44.68 grams/mol ? And the same with other solutions/oxydes.

when x=1, y =2
and when x=2, y=1
so i think it can be two formulas: (N1O2) and (N2O1)

Ah ok, that's good point
the formula then is N2O1 because its molar mass (44) is the closest to 44.68
Thank you :)

is it true ?

Yes, unfortunately the numbers chosen in the problem's don't lead to exactly 44 as the molar mass of the gas, so this rounding is necessary. Or it could be that the 44.68 comes from a mixture of N_2 O and N O_2 which have masses 44 and 46 respectively, but I don't think this was the intention in the author's mind.

1. What is a molecular formula?

A molecular formula is a representation of a compound that shows the number and types of atoms present in a molecule.

2. How is a molecular formula determined?

A molecular formula is determined by analyzing the mass of the molecule and using this information to calculate the number of each type of atom present.

3. What is the difference between a molecular formula and an empirical formula?

A molecular formula shows the actual number of atoms of each element in a molecule, while an empirical formula shows the simplest whole number ratio of the atoms present. Empirical formulas can be determined experimentally, while molecular formulas require additional information, such as mass spectrometry data.

4. Can two different compounds have the same molecular formula?

Yes, two different compounds can have the same molecular formula. This is known as isomerism, where the atoms are arranged differently in the two compounds, leading to different chemical properties.

5. How can I use a molecular formula to predict the properties of a compound?

A molecular formula can give important information about the composition of a compound, which can be used to predict its physical and chemical properties. For example, the number and types of atoms present can give insight into the overall structure and reactivity of the molecule.