1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding molecular formula

1. Jun 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

6.0 cm^3 of a gaseous hydrocarbon was sparked with 34.5 cm^3 of oxygen. The volume of the gaseous products after cooling to room temperature was 22.5 cm^3. The volume was reduced to 4.5 cm^3 on passing the gases through aqueous potassium hydroxide. What is the molecular formula of hydrocarbon?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

CxHy + ( x + y/4 ) O2 ----> x CO2 + Y/2 H2O

Is this equation correct?Do I miss out any product?

my doubts : First, I try calculating the volume of CO2 produced and It is 18cm^3 and the volume of H2O is apparently 4.5 cm^3. What should I do next?
    How to find the volume of oxygen gas that has reacted? Should I convert them into moles by dividing the volume of room temperature? I'm confused :(

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2008 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have found the volume of CO2. Convert it to moles to determine 'x'. What remains is water vapor. Find the number of moles of that and determine 'y'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?