Finding Molecule angles with vectors

In summary, The angle between four unbonded electron pairs in a molecule is 109.5º. This can be found using trigonometry by considering the electron pairs as vectors and using the formula for calculating angles in a tetrahedron. The resulting angle is 90° + (angle of formula 15).
relativitydude
I posted this in the chemistry section, but I was recommended up here. We have a molecule with three unbonded electon pairs, so they will repel each other as much as possible. That's easy, it's 360º/3 = 120º

However, when we have four unbonded electron pairs the angle is 109.5º How?

I figured there are four vectors:

Vector A: (X1)i + (y1)j + (z1)k
Vector B: (X2)i + (y2)j + (z2)k
Vector C: (X3)i + (y3)j + (z3)k
Vector D: (X4)i + (y4)j + (z4)k

And if they repelled each other, it would simply be A + B + C + D = 0

I am figuring setting up this further by dotting the vectors and dividing by the norm to get an algebraic quantity representing the angle. The sum of the angles around XY would be 360º, XZ would be 360º, YZ would be 360º

Then squaring those individual XY, XZ, and YZ and taking the root of it to get 109.5º

Physics news on Phys.org
Dare no one help?

The electron pairs will form a tetrahedron. Knowing that, you can find the angles using simple trigonometry. I'm in a bit of a hurry right now, but I can post details later if you want. :smile:

1. How do you determine the angles between molecules using vectors?

To find the angles between molecules using vectors, you first need to find the vectors that represent the positions of the atoms in the molecule. Then, you can use the dot product or cross product of these vectors to calculate the angle between them. This angle will give you the angle between the two molecules.

2. Why is it important to know the angles between molecules?

Knowing the angles between molecules is important because it can help us understand the structure and properties of molecules. It can also help us predict how molecules will interact with each other and how they will behave in different chemical reactions.

3. What factors can affect the angle between molecules?

The angle between molecules can be affected by a variety of factors, such as the types of atoms and bonds present in the molecule, the number and arrangement of lone pairs, and the presence of external forces or interactions.

4. Can the angle between molecules change?

Yes, the angle between molecules can change. This can happen due to changes in the molecular structure, such as bond rotations or bond breaking and forming, or due to external forces or interactions that can alter the orientation of the molecules.

5. Are there any limitations to using vectors to find molecule angles?

While vectors can provide a useful tool for determining the angles between molecules, they may not always accurately represent the actual angles in complex molecules. This can be due to factors such as bond flexibility, electron delocalization, and three-dimensional molecular structures. Additionally, the accuracy of the calculations can be affected by errors in the measurements or data used to determine the vectors.