1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding moles in a mixture

1. Feb 18, 2008 #1
    General question:

If given the mass (15.0 g) of a mixture of two solids (NaCl + C12H22O11), can I find the amount of moles in the mixture by multiplying (15.0 g)*(mol / mass NaCl + mass C12H22O11)? I don't think this is valid, but I don't know why not.....
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2008 #2
    i dont think you can really do that... mainly because you dont know what fraction of the mixture is NaCl or C12H22O11.
  4. Feb 19, 2008 #3
    Well what if you're just trying to find the moles of solution present? Then would it matter the fraction of each?
  5. Feb 19, 2008 #4
    well.. that is sort of impossible to say the total moles of "solution present". for example, try making up your own values for a solution... like 20% A (molar mass 20) and 80% B (molar mass 5). you could then find find moles A and moles B and add them up together to find total moles.
    now try doing it again except with like 50% A and 50% B. You should get a different number of moles.. at least i hope so lol
  6. Feb 19, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Suppose I told you there was 1000tons of vehicles in the car park and they were a mixture of 0.5t Smart Cars and 10t Buses - you couldn't work out how many vehicles were present.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?