Finding moment of inertia of a flywheel using rotations, with friction.

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving a flywheel rotated by the force of gravity on a mass. The speaker has attempted to calculate the behavior and moment of inertia using torques and forces, but the presence of liquid friction has made it challenging. They have also attached a diagram and derivation for others to review and provide feedback. It is suggested to consider using numerical methods and the concept of conservation of energy to better predict the behavior of the system. Overall, the experiment and approach seem thorough and well thought out.
dannyR
ive recently done a experiment which involved a flywheel which was rotated by the force of gravity on a mass which was wrapped around the flywheel axis.

I have tried to calculate functions which will predict the behaviour as well as get the moment on inertia of the flywheel via torques of the system. I know this could be done via conservation of energy but due to liquid friction being involved I couldn't do it and i find this approach to be better as it can predict the behaviour under different circumstances.

i have attached a diagram which shows the system as well as a dirivation of my results which i would appreciate someone to check over to see if i have made any mistakes/ or to discus better ways of getting these results.

Many thanks Dany

Attachments

• inertia.png
    inertia.png
    5 KB · Views: 1,984
  • inertia expan.jpg
    inertia expan.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,314
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Dany,

Thank you for sharing your experiment with us. It sounds like you have conducted a very interesting and complex experiment. I would be happy to take a look at your results and offer any feedback or suggestions.

Firstly, it is important to note that the behavior and moment of inertia of a flywheel can be affected by a variety of factors, such as the weight and distribution of the mass, the size and shape of the flywheel, and the surface and air resistance it is experiencing. Therefore, it is important to ensure that these variables are controlled and accounted for in your calculations.

In terms of your approach to calculating the behavior and moment of inertia, using torques and forces is a valid method. However, as you mentioned, the presence of liquid friction can complicate the calculations. In this case, it may be helpful to consider using numerical methods, such as computer simulations, to better predict the behavior of the system under different circumstances. Additionally, incorporating the concept of conservation of energy can also provide valuable insights into the system's behavior.

I would be happy to review your results and derivation. However, without a specific diagram and equations, it is difficult for me to provide any specific feedback or suggestions. I would recommend double-checking your calculations and equations, and perhaps seeking the assistance of a colleague or mentor to review your work as well.

Overall, your experiment and approach seem very thorough and well thought out. Keep up the good work and I hope your results will contribute to further understanding of flywheel behavior. Best of luck in your future experiments!

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is the rotational analogue of mass in linear motion.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia can be calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. This can be expressed as I = mr^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What is the importance of finding the moment of inertia of a flywheel?

The moment of inertia of a flywheel is important because it determines how much energy is needed to change its rotational speed. It is also used in calculations for the flywheel's angular momentum and its ability to store and release energy.

4. How is friction taken into account when finding the moment of inertia of a flywheel?

Friction can be taken into account by using the parallel axis theorem, which states that the moment of inertia about an axis is equal to the moment of inertia about a parallel axis through the center of mass, plus the product of the mass and the square of the distance between the two axes. This allows for the inclusion of the frictional force in the calculation.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating the moment of inertia of a flywheel?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculation, including the precision of the measurements taken, the assumption of uniform density, and the influence of external forces such as air resistance. It is important to minimize these factors as much as possible to obtain a more accurate result.