Finding moment of inertia

In summary, a solid block with mass 0.172 kg and edge lengths a=3.5cm, b=8.4cm, and c=1.4cm has a rotational inertia about an axis through one corner and perpendicular to the large faces. To calculate this, we can use the formula integral of r^2 dm, where r^2 = x^2 + y^2. We can substitute for dm using the density and dxdydz (or hdxdy if only integrating over x and y).
demonelite123
a uniform solid block has mass 0.172 kg and edge lengths a=3.5cm, b=8.4cm, and c=1.4cm (c is the height of the rectangular solid).Calculate its rotational inertia about an axis through one corner and perpendicular to the large faces.

i know the formula is integral of r^2 dm, but i have no idea what to do here. i have r^2 = a^2 + b^2. but i don't know how what to substitute for dm.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi demonelite123! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
demonelite123 said:
i know the formula is integral of r^2 dm, but i have no idea what to do here. i have r^2 = a^2 + b^2. but i don't know how what to substitute for dm.

If r2 = x2 + y2, then dm = density times dxdydz (or, if you're only integrating over x and y, then dm = hdxdy). :smile:

To calculate the moment of inertia for a solid block, we first need to determine the distribution of mass throughout the block. In this case, we can assume that the mass is evenly distributed throughout the block.

To find the rotational inertia about an axis through one corner and perpendicular to the large faces, we can use the parallel axis theorem. This theorem states that the moment of inertia about an axis parallel to the original axis is equal to the moment of inertia about the original axis plus the product of the mass and the square of the distance between the two axes.

In this case, our original axis is through the center of mass of the block, which is located at (a/2, b/2, c/2). The distance between this axis and the desired axis through one corner is equal to the distance from the center of mass to the corner, which is given by (a/2, b/2, c/2) = (3.5/2, 8.4/2, 1.4/2) = (1.75, 4.2, 0.7).

Now, we can plug this distance into the parallel axis theorem and calculate the moment of inertia about the desired axis:

I = Icm + md^2 = (1/12)m(a^2 + b^2) + m(1.75^2 + 4.2^2 + 0.7^2)

= (1/12)(0.172)(3.5^2 + 8.4^2) + (0.172)(1.75^2 + 4.2^2 + 0.7^2)

= 0.0155 + 0.1596 = 0.1751 kgm^2

Therefore, the moment of inertia for the solid block about an axis through one corner and perpendicular to the large faces is 0.1751 kgm^2.

1. What is the formula for calculating moment of inertia?

The formula for calculating moment of inertia is I = ∫ r² dm, where I is the moment of inertia, r is the distance from the axis of rotation, and dm is the mass element.

2. How do you find the moment of inertia for a point mass?

To find the moment of inertia for a point mass, you can simply use the formula I = mr², where m is the mass and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What is the difference between moment of inertia and mass moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia and mass moment of inertia are often used interchangeably, but they refer to slightly different concepts. Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, while mass moment of inertia is a measure of the distribution of mass around an axis of rotation.

4. How does the shape of an object affect its moment of inertia?

The shape of an object can greatly affect its moment of inertia. Objects with most of their mass concentrated towards the axis of rotation have a smaller moment of inertia, while objects with their mass spread out further from the axis have a larger moment of inertia.

5. Can the moment of inertia of an object change?

Yes, the moment of inertia of an object can change if the distribution of mass changes. For example, if an object's mass is moved closer to the axis of rotation, its moment of inertia will decrease. Additionally, the shape of an object can also be changed, altering its moment of inertia.