Calculating Moments About a Point

In summary, the conversation discusses the direction of moments and forces in relation to rotating an object. The question of whether ##F_x## should be positive or negative is brought up, and it is clarified that clockwise moments are taken as positive and counter-clockwise moments are taken as negative. The conversation then delves into the direction of ##F_y## and how it affects the rotation of the object. It is determined that ##F_y## tends to rotate the object counter-clockwise. Finally, the calculation of the moment about point O is discussed, with the final answer being 3.74 kN.
Bolter
Homework Statement
See below
Relevant Equations
moment = force x perpendicular distance
Not sure if I answered this question right

Screenshot 2020-10-11 at 23.19.42.png

IMG_5352.JPG

I took my clockwise moments as +ve and counter-clockwise moments as -ve

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Should ##F_x## be positive or negative?

Are you sure you took clockwise as positive for the moments? Does ##F_y## tend to rotate the object clockwise or counterclockwise?

Likes Lnewqban
TSny said:
Should ##F_x## be positive or negative?

Are you sure you took clockwise as positive for the moments? Does ##F_y## tend to rotate the object clockwise or counterclockwise?

Oh it looks like Fy is trying to rotate the bar counter-clockwise
whereas Fx is also rotating it counter-clockwise?

so let's say I took counter-clockwise to be a positive moment, then the moment about O is (Fx * 0.15) + (Fy * 1.5) = 3.74 kN?

Likes PhanthomJay
It looks OK to me.

Bolter said:
Oh it looks like Fy is trying to rotate the bar counter-clockwise
whereas Fx is also rotating it counter-clockwise?
Yes

so let's say I took counter-clockwise to be a positive moment, then the moment about O is (Fx * 0.15) + (Fy * 1.5) = 3.74 kN?
Looks good except for the units of the answer.

Likes Lnewqban

What is "finding moments about a point"?

"Finding moments about a point" is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the total effect of a force or a system of forces acting on an object at a specific point. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze and predict the motion of objects.

How is the moment about a point calculated?

The moment about a point is calculated by multiplying the force acting on an object by the perpendicular distance from the point to the line of action of the force. This distance is also known as the lever arm or moment arm. The resulting value is a vector quantity that represents the rotational effect of the force on the object.

What is the significance of finding moments about a point?

Finding moments about a point is important in many fields of science and engineering, as it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of objects under the influence of forces. It is especially useful in analyzing the stability and equilibrium of structures, such as bridges and buildings, and in designing machines and tools.

What are some real-world applications of finding moments about a point?

Some examples of real-world applications of finding moments about a point include calculating the torque on a bicycle wheel, determining the stability of a skyscraper, and analyzing the forces acting on a bridge during construction. It is also used in biomechanics to study the movement of human joints and muscles.

What are some common misconceptions about finding moments about a point?

One common misconception is that the magnitude of the moment about a point is equal to the distance from the point to the force. In reality, it is the perpendicular distance that is used in the calculation. Another misconception is that moments only occur in rotational motion, when in fact they can also occur in translational motion. Additionally, it is important to note that moments are not the same as forces, as they represent different physical quantities.