Finding moments of a 3D model.

In summary, the student is seeking help understanding how to determine the moments/torques of a cube based on its axis and the coordinate system. They have provided equations for the moments/torques in terms of force and distance and have correctly identified one term in each equation. The missing term in each equation needs to be determined and the concept of taking the cross product of two vectors is mentioned as a potential solution. The conversation ends with an acknowledgement of the student's welcome to the forum and a question from the expert about the student's understanding of cross products.
jeluu9

Homework Statement

(See pic attachment)

Homework Equations

Moment/Torque = Force * d (Force arm)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have so far
Mx = Fz * ya
My = Fx * za
Mz = -Fx * ya

How I got these answers is by looking at the cube from the component's axis and whether or not it produces a torque. I am following what I observed the professor doing but not sure about why or how one knows how to do this. Please help!

with the coordinate system being CCW is (+) and (+) xyz based on the "left-hand rule"

Attachments

• Q_01.jpg
    Q_01.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 448
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jeluu9. Welcome to Physics Forums!

There should be two terms in each of these equations, and you already have one of the terms written correctly. Try to figure out what the missing term in each equation is.

Have you learned yet about taking the cross product of two vectors, if the vectors are expressed in cartesian component form?

Chet

What is meant by "moments" in a 3D model?

Moments in a 3D model refer to the location and distribution of mass within the model. These moments are used to calculate the model's center of mass and to estimate its stability and structural integrity.

How are moments calculated in a 3D model?

Moments in a 3D model are calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the shape, size, and density of the model. These equations involve integrals and summations over the entire volume of the model.

Why is it important to find moments of a 3D model?

Finding moments of a 3D model is important in various industries such as engineering, architecture, and physics. It allows for accurate analysis of the model's structural stability and can help in designing more efficient and safe structures.

What tools or software are used to find moments of a 3D model?

There are various tools and software available for finding moments of a 3D model, such as CAD software, finite element analysis software, and specialized software for specific industries. These tools use complex algorithms and equations to accurately calculate the moments of a 3D model.

Are there any limitations or assumptions when finding moments of a 3D model?

Yes, there are limitations and assumptions when finding moments of a 3D model. These include assuming the model is a rigid body, neglecting any deformation or movement of the model, and assuming uniform density throughout the model. These limitations may affect the accuracy of the calculated moments and should be taken into consideration during the analysis.