Finding moments of pulleys with mass and tensions.

In summary, a uniform disk of radius 0.18 m with a mass of M is mounted on a frictionless, horizontal axis. A light cord wrapped around the disk supports a 0.57 kg object. When released from rest, the object falls with a downward acceleration of 2.6 m/s^2. The tension force on the cord is found to be 5.586 N, and this can be used to find the torque on the disk. By setting the sum of torques equal to I\alpha and using the fact that alpha = a/r, the torque is found to be 1.00548 N*m. By then solving for I, the moment of inertia is found to be 0.069
jrrodri7
A uniform Disk of radius 0.18 m is mounted on a frictionless, horizontal axis. A light cord wrapped around the disk supports a 0.57 kg object. When released from rest, the object falls with a downward acceleration of 2.6 m/s^2

What is the Moment of Inertia of the disk?

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6792/pulleywithmassquestionqy2.jpg

Relevant Equations
[tex]\Sigma[/tex] F = ma

[tex]\Sigma[/tex] [tex]\tau[/tex] = I [tex]\alpha[/tex]

[tex]\alpha[/tex] = a / r

My attempt

The Cord is massless and the Axis is frictionless, so that all equals to 0.
I set F_x = 0, and F_y = T + H - mg, T is the Tension force the pulley is pulling away from the weight attached to it by the string. So i defined the T as "Mg" where M is the mass of the pulley and "mg", where m is 0.57 kg. Finding the Tension yielding 5.586 N.

I set the sum of the torques equal to I[tex]\alpha[/tex], and substituted alpha as a/r. given the a causing rotational motion, because the system is being essentially rotated from the weight falling from rest attached to the pulley, making the 2.6 = a, and the r = 0.18 m. Given the substitution for [tex]\alpha[/tex], I can substitute the sums of torques as the magnitude of torques yielding rFsin(theta), since it's 90 degrees, the sin becomes 1, making the equation essentially F * radius. So, given the T from prior, 5.586, i multiplied by 0.18 m, attating 1.00548. I set 1.00548 yielding I x (2.6/0.18), and I solved for I, giving me a number of 0.069627. This is obviously incorrect though. I've been having trouble understanding the values of the application of how to SEE these torques in pictures and such. It's been giving me ALOT of trouble, so any help would be useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
jrrodri7 said:
The Cord is massless and the Axis is frictionless, so that all equals to 0.
I set F_x = 0, and F_y = T + H - mg, T is the Tension force the pulley is pulling away from the weight attached to it by the string. So i defined the T as "Mg" where M is the mass of the pulley and "mg", where m is 0.57 kg. Finding the Tension yielding 5.586 N.
Find the tension by analyzing the forces acting on the hanging mass. You have the acceleration.

Once you correctly find the tension, use it to find the torque acting on the disk.

Oh snap! Since I have 2 separate accelerations, all I'd have to do is find the difference in those forces between g and the 2.6 m/s^2! It'd end up being something like,

T = mg - ma_y

then set T = Mx, x being the difference's in acceleration.

giving Mx = mg - ma (all in y directions).

M(9.8-2.6) = (.57 * 9.8) * (.57 * 2.6)

7.2M = 5.586 * 1.482

7.2M = 8.28

M= 1.15 kg, which makes sense since it should be heavier then the weight.

Then I apply (1/2) M R ^2. and I arrive at, I = 0.01863

jrrodri7 said:
T = mg - ma_y
This is all you need to solve for T, since m and a_y are given.
then set T = Mx, x being the difference's in acceleration.
No idea what you're doing here.

oh, I was just saying that the only force pulling against the weight would be the pulley itself, and that it's mass and w/e acceleration it would deduct from the prior acceleration. But yes, it's only the first set..okay.

Then I'd have find the Force on the pulley as well correct?

F_y (pulley) = T - mg, and with that since it's not moving and no friction, i can set it to 0, and find that the only tension on the pulley to the horizontal is Mg, I don't know what M is though...would i have to substitute T i find from the other equation and find it?

jrrodri7 said:
Then I'd have find the Force on the pulley as well correct?
Once you've found the tension, you'll need to find the torque it exerts on the pulley. Note that the string is the only thing that exerts a torque on the pulley.

1. How do you determine the moment of a pulley with mass?

The moment of a pulley with mass can be determined by multiplying the mass of the pulley by the distance from the axis of rotation to the center of mass.

2. What is the formula for calculating the tension in a pulley system?

The formula for calculating the tension in a pulley system is T = (m1 + m2 + ...)a, where T is the total tension, m1, m2, etc. are the masses of the objects connected to the pulley, and a is the acceleration of the system.

3. How do you find the moment of a pulley with unequal masses on each side?

To find the moment of a pulley with unequal masses on each side, you will need to take into account the different masses and distances from the axis of rotation on each side. You can then use the formula M = (m1d1 - m2d2), where M is the moment, m1 and m2 are the masses on each side, and d1 and d2 are the distances from the axis of rotation on each side.

4. What is the relationship between the tensions in a pulley system?

The tensions in a pulley system are equal on both sides of the pulley. This is because the force of gravity on both masses is equal, and the pulley is considered to be massless, meaning it does not contribute to the overall tension in the system.

5. How do you find the acceleration of a pulley system with multiple masses?

To find the acceleration of a pulley system with multiple masses, you can use the formula a = (m1 - m2)/(m1 + m2), where a is the acceleration, m1 and m2 are the masses on each side of the pulley, and the pulley is assumed to be massless.