1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding momentum of muon

1. Sep 27, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    pi-meson's rest energy is 139.57MeV, it decays into a muon and a neutrino. The muon has a rest energy of 105.45MeV, and a proper lifetime of 2.197*10^-6. The neutrino's mass can be treated as massless in the process.

1) Assuming the pi-meson decays at rest, what is the momentum of the muon?

2. Relevant equations
    E_muon + E_neutrino = E_pi-meson
    E_muon = c^2* ((m_pi-meson)^2 - (m_muon)^2)) / (2m_pi-meson)
    E_muon = sqrt((P_muon^2 c^2) + (m_muon c^2)^2)
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok I used used the second equation and it gives about 9.866*10^18, then, use this value in the 3rd equation and solving for the momentum, I get a negative value under the square root, which doesn't make sense. In the 2nd equation, the values I plugged in for m_pi-meson and m_muon are just 139.57 and 105.47, and used 3*10^8 for c. Where did I go wrong?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Where do those equations come from?
    9.866*1018 what? Kilometers, apples, ...? Units are important.

4. Sep 27, 2015 #3
    The first equation is based on the conservation laws, you can see from here https://teachers.web.cern.ch/teache...h/mbitu/energy_and_momentum_conservation1.htm I used equation (2.5)
    For the second equation, I used the fact that E^2 = p^2 c^2 + m^2 c^4 , squared both sides to get E, and tried to solve for the momentum from here

5. Sep 27, 2015 #4
    Oh never mind, I solved it. Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted