Calculate Muzzle Velocity: Angle, Height, Horizontal Displacement

In summary: Just make sure to always double-check your units and make sure they all match up. And don't forget to include direction (positive or negative) when needed. Great job on solving the problem!In summary, the individual is seeking help with their physics homework and needs to find the initial velocity of a ball after it was shot. They were given two formulas and some information about the projectile's launch and height. With the help of a forum user, they were able to determine the distances and initial velocity, and solve for the time and final muzzle velocity. The individual expressed gratitude for the assistance and was encouraged to continue practicing problem-solving skills.
Jvells
I need help with my hw, bad. I've been screwing off in my physics class for awhile and I can't get afterschool help because I have sports. I need to pick my grade up in this class to keep playing...so here I am. I need a good walkthrough badly, i don't know a whole lot with physics, but a decent amount and I'm begginggg someone to help guide me through this at least a little bit...

I need to figure out the initial velocity (muzzle velocity) of a ball after it got shot knowing the angle, height, and distance traveled.

He gave me these two formulas: "Δx=Vxt" and "Δy=Vyit+1/2ayt^2".

The projectile went: 0.98m
Launched horizontally: (0=0°). Why "0=" and not just 0°? Guess the 0 refers to the x axis?
Launched from the height: 0.79m

PLEASE HELP getting me started with this. It'll be muchhh appreciated...I have quite a bit to catch up on and this is the assignment I'm starting with.

Physics news on Phys.org

Could it have been "θ=0°"? That would make more sense. θ is a common symbol for angle measure. Not much to do with the problem, though. So anyways... Let's see if these hints help you.

1) Δx and Δy in these formulas refer to distances traveled between time 0 and t. So what are the Δx and Δy for this problem?

2) The projectile is launched horizontally. That tells you something about initial velocity. What variable can you replace or get rid of in your formulas based on this information?

Once you have these things, just plug everything you know into formulas and see if any of them can be solved for any of the unknowns.

By the way, normally, on this forum, you are expected to show as much of the work as you've managed on the problem before asking for help. Since you are saying that you are completely stuck, the above will hopefully act as the guided way to do the same.

yeah it was theta not 0, I looked at it wrong my bad. But yeah you did help a bit.

1) Δx would be 0.98m & Δy would be 0.79m?

2) Beign launched horizontally the initial velocity would be 0 since it's at rest before being shot. I'm really confused though so I could be wrong. Now how do I figure out the acceleration (ay)...? Would you mind doing a little math for me on here so I can see what you end up doing and figure it out that way...?

If there are no other forces acting on projectile, vertical acceleration is just acceleration due to gravity, which is about -9.8m/s². So long as the problem is set up on Earth, this will always be the same.

You should try to keep your signs consistent. Since projectile started at height of 0.79m and ended up at height of 0m, Δy = -0.79m. (Final minus initial.)

I understand that much, now how do i go about solving this for t? Would you mind doing it for me and showing the work on here...? I'd loveee you. I'm not just trying to just get it over with, I am gunna review your work and figure it out. That's if you do it, no pressuree.

So, here's what i need worked out: "-0.79m=(0)t+1/2(-9.8m/s^2)t^2". If you do it, thanks a ton man...

Bump...

Jvells said:
So, here's what i need worked out: "-0.79m=(0)t+1/2(-9.8m/s^2)t^2". If you do it, thanks a ton man...
You can perform the same operation both sides of an equal sign, and equality remains valid. First of all, you can just get rid of 0*t, because that's just 0, and 0 + something is just that something. Next, you can multiply by (-1) on both sides, which will get rid of the minus sign. Finally, you want to take a square root of both sides. Keep in mind that [itex]\sqrt{Number*t^2} = \sqrt{Number}*t[/itex]. That should leave you with a simple linear equation which, I hope, you know how to solve for t.

By the way, for future, you might want to learn how to solve quadratic equations. Only so much of physics is physics. The rest is algebra, and quadratic equations will come back. So will simple systems of linear equations.

T=0.40 seconds

Rounded to two sig digs.

Solved the other equation for a final muzzle velocity of 2.5 m/s. Looks right to me, what do you say mann? Absolutely love you for helping, i get it.

Last edited:

Bump...sorry

Yeah, these look good.

1. How do I calculate muzzle velocity?

To calculate muzzle velocity, you will need to measure the angle of elevation, the height of the muzzle above the ground, and the horizontal displacement of the projectile. You can then use the formula: V = √(gH/2sinθcos²θ), where V is the muzzle velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (usually 9.8 m/s²), H is the height, and θ is the angle of elevation in radians.

2. Can I calculate muzzle velocity without knowing the angle of elevation?

No, the angle of elevation is a crucial component in calculating muzzle velocity. Without this information, you will not be able to accurately determine the velocity of the projectile.

3. How does the height of the muzzle affect the calculation of muzzle velocity?

The height of the muzzle above the ground is a key factor in calculating muzzle velocity. The higher the muzzle is above the ground, the greater the potential energy of the projectile, which will result in a higher muzzle velocity.

4. Is muzzle velocity affected by air resistance?

Yes, air resistance or drag will affect the muzzle velocity of a projectile. The higher the drag force, the lower the muzzle velocity will be. This is why it is important to take into account air resistance when calculating muzzle velocity.

5. Is there a specific unit for muzzle velocity?

Yes, muzzle velocity is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s). However, it can also be measured in other units such as miles per hour (mph) or kilometers per hour (km/h) depending on the preferences of the researcher or the application.