Finding Net Coulombic Force

• Thread starter deezy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Net
In summary, the net Coulombic force exerted by the three charges on the -8 × 10^{-5} C charge at (0,2) is approximately -62.08 N, directed downward along the y-axis.
deezy

Homework Statement

Three charges with magnitude [tex]8 × 10^{-4} C[/tex] are located at (1, 0), (0 , 0), and (-1, 0) meters. The middle charge is negative, and the other two positive. What is the net Coulombic force exerted by them on a negative [tex]8 × 10^{-5} C[/tex] charge at (0, 2)?

[tex]k = 9.0 × 10^9 N∙m^2/C^2[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]F_{12} = \frac{k |q_1| |q_2|}{r^2}[/tex]
[tex]F_{net on x} = F_{1 on x} + F_{2 on x} + F_{3 on x} + ...[/tex]
[tex]F_{net} = \sqrt {F_x^2 + F_y^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]F_1 = \frac {(9 × 10^9)(8 × 10^{-4})(-8 × 10^{-5})}{(\sqrt{5})^2} = -115.2 (N)[/tex]

[tex]F_2 = \frac {(9 × 10^9)(-8 × 10^{-4})(-8 × 10^{-5})}{(2)^2} = 144 (N)[/tex]

[tex]F_3 = \frac {(9 × 10^9)(8 × 10^{-4})(-8 × 10^{-5})}{(\sqrt{5})^2} = -115.2 (N)[/tex]

[tex]F_x = 115.2 * sin \theta + (-115.2 * sin \theta) = 115.2 * \frac{1}{\sqrt 5} - 115.2 * \frac{1}{\sqrt 5} = 0[/tex]

[tex]F_y = -115.2 * cos \theta + (-115.2 * cos \theta) + 144 = -115.2 * \frac{1}{\sqrt 5} - -115.2 * \frac{1}{\sqrt 5} + 144 = -62.08 (N)[/tex]

[tex]F_{net} = \sqrt {F_x^2 + F_y^2} = \sqrt {0^2 + (-62.08)^2} = 62.08 (N) [/tex]

I'm pretty sure I need the magnitudes of the forces, but not sure what to do after that. I'm also not sure what should be positive or negative. The answer choices are in the 600s and 800s, and no matter what combination of positives or negatives I use, I can't get anywhere close to 600 or 800.

I attached the diagram I drew below.

Attachments

• electric force.png
    electric force.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 1,071
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculations for the individual forces look fine, and your diagram indicates appropriate directions for each of the forces. By symmetry the net force should act along the y-axis, and by the actual forces calculated the net force should be directed downward (so it's negative).

I don't see how the result could have a magnitude even as high as 600N, given the magnitudes of the individual forces. There must be something wrong with either the problem statement or the answer key.

1. What is net Coulombic force?

Net Coulombic force is the overall force that results from the interaction between two or more charged particles. This force is determined by the magnitude and direction of the individual Coulombic forces acting on the particles.

2. How is net Coulombic force calculated?

To calculate net Coulombic force, you must first determine the magnitude of the individual Coulombic forces acting on the particles. Then, you can use vector addition to find the resultant force, taking into account the direction of each force. The final value will be the net Coulombic force.

3. What factors affect net Coulombic force?

The magnitude of net Coulombic force is affected by the distance between the charged particles, as well as their respective charges. The force increases with decreasing distance and increasing charge magnitude.

4. What units are used to measure net Coulombic force?

Net Coulombic force is typically measured in Newtons (N) or in Coulombs (C), depending on the units used for charge and distance. In some cases, it may also be measured in Newtons per Coulomb (N/C).

5. How is net Coulombic force related to electric fields?

Net Coulombic force is closely related to electric fields. The net Coulombic force acting on a particle is equal to the product of the particle's charge and the electric field strength at its location. In other words, the electric field determines the strength and direction of the net Coulombic force.