What is the net electric force exerted on the point charge q1?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the direction and magnitude of the net electric force exerted on a point charge given its position and charge. The equations used are F(elect) = k (q1,q2)/d^2 and F(net) = k(q1,q3)/2d^2. After correcting a mistake in the denominator, the final result is +372 N towards q2.
Physicsnoob90

Homework Statement

Given that q = 20 µC and d = 11 cm, find the direction and magnitude of the net electric force exerted on the point charge q1 below.

19-30.gif

Homework Equations

F(elect) = k (q1,q2)/d^2

The Attempt at a Solution

1. after converting each unit to its appropriate form,
F(net 1x) = +(k(q(1)[(2.0)q(2)])/d^2) + -(k(q(1)[(3.0)q(3)])/2d^2)

= +[(9.0e^9 N m^2/C^2)(20e^-6 C)(4e^-5 C)/0.0121 m^2] - [(9.0e^9 N m^2/C^2)(20e^-6)(6e^-5)/0.0484 m^2)

2. F(net1x) = 595.041 - 446.281 = 148.8 N towards q2 (it came back wrong though) [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Check to see if you used the correct charges for your second force.

Also, I'm not sure which direction you are taking to be the positive direction.

TSny said:
Also, I'm not sure which direction you are taking to be the positive direction.
i'm using +q(1,2) going right and -q(1,3) going left. I still get -446.281 N in the second force

Did you use the correct value of q1 in the second force?

(I see that you are using "toward the right" as the positive direction. Good.)

It looks like you are plugging the correct numbers into your second force, but I get half the value that you get for the second force.

TSny said:
It looks like you are plugging the correct numbers into your second force, but I get half the value that you get for the second force.
Did you use the same number/equation as well?

F(net(q1,3))= k(q1 *(3.0)(q3))/2(d)^2

= - ( (9.0e^9 N m^2/C^2) * 20e^-6 C * (3.0)(20e^-6 C) )/ 2 (0.11 m)^2 = - 446.3 N

Physicsnoob90 said:
Did you use the same number/equation as well?

F(net(q1,3))= k(q1 *(3.0)(q3))/2(d)^2

= - ( (9.0e^9 N m^2/C^2) * 20e^-6 C * (3.0)(20e^-6 C) )/ 2 (0.11 m)^2 = - 446.3 N
Here the problem is with your denominator. (You had the correct denominator in your first post.)

Likes Physicsnoob90
TSny said:
Here the problem is with your denominator. (You had the correct denominator in your first post.)
You're right. I got +372 N total as my result (which came back correct!)

Thank You!

Great! I now see that when you wrote your equation in the first post, the denominator of the second force should have been written (2d)2 rather than 2d2. But you had the correct numerical value for the denominator.

TSny said:
Great! I now see that when you wrote your equation in the first post, the denominator of the second force should have been written (2d)2 rather than 2d2. But you had the correct numerical value for the denominator.
i was wondering why my initial numbers were looking correct but still getting the wrong result.

1. What is net electric force?

Net electric force is the overall force exerted on a charged object by other charged objects in its surroundings. It is the vector sum of all the individual electric forces acting on the object.

2. How is net electric force calculated?

Net electric force is calculated by adding up all the individual electric forces using vector addition. The direction of the net force is determined by the direction of the resulting vector.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of net electric force?

The magnitude of net electric force is affected by the magnitude of the individual electric forces, the distance between the charged objects, and the charges of the objects (positive or negative). Inverse square law also applies, meaning the force decreases with distance.

4. What is the difference between net electric force and electric field?

Net electric force is the actual force experienced by a charged object, while electric field is the region of space around a charged object where another charged object would experience a force. Electric field is a vector quantity and is used to calculate the force on a charged object at a specific point.

5. How does net electric force affect the motion of charged objects?

Net electric force can either accelerate or decelerate the motion of charged objects, depending on the direction of the force and the initial velocity of the object. If the net force is zero, the object will continue to move at a constant velocity.