1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding net force of air boat

1. Feb 12, 2009 #1
    An airboat with mass 4.38 102 kg, including passengers, has an engine that produces a net horizontal force of 8.08 102 N, after accounting for forces of resistance. a>how long does it take the airboat to reach a speed of 16.0 m/s? b>After reaching this speed, the pilot turns off the engine and drifts to a stop over a distance of 50.0 meters. Find the resistance force, assuming it's constant.

acceleration i found to be 1.84 m/s^2

a = 8.70 s
    b = -1120 N

c> Suppose the pilot, starting again from rest, opens the throttle only partway. At a constant acceleration, the airboat then covers a distance of 64.0 meters in 11.5 seconds. Find the net force acting on the boat.

i need help finding c.....i would appreciate steps in finding the solution-notjust the answer.

thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2009 #2
    use DeltaX = Vot + 1/2 at^2

remember he is starting from rest (Vo = 0, so the term drops)

solve for a(acceleration)

then multiply acceleration by the mass to get the net force from Newton's Second Law.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook