Finding Net Force: Solve w/ F=ma

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the force exerted on a smaller crate by a larger one, given the mass and acceleration values. The formula F=ma is mentioned and explained, with the use of Newton's 3rd law and weight as a measurement of force also discussed. The specific question of how the value of 30N was obtained is addressed, with the formula F2 = m2/(m1+m2)*F being used to calculate the force. Finally, the conversation concludes with a reminder to consider only the horizontal forces in this scenario.
okgo

Homework Statement

untitled-1.jpg

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

According to Newton's 3rd law, the box pushes back on the person 36N. But I don't know how you find how much force the smaller crate exerts on the larger one.

Physics news on Phys.org

If there is a net force pushing on both crates of 36N, then the crates are accelerating aren't they?

If the 20 kg crate is accelerating at that rate, then what must the force be on it to make it accelerate at that rate?

I'm not sure I totally understand how they got 30N as an answer. Our test is coming up soon and I was worried if the multiple choice might be closer to the real answer like C. 25 D.33
Weight is a measurement of force so I used w=mg. 20kg*9.8=196N ??

okgo said:
I'm not sure I totally understand how they got 30N as an answer. Our test is coming up soon and I was worried if the multiple choice might be closer to the real answer like C. 25 D.33
Weight is a measurement of force so I used w=mg. 20kg*9.8=196N ??

F = m*a

Sure m*g is weight normal to the surface, but you are dealing with horizontal motion which has no interaction with gravity, unless there is friction dependent on the weight.

Your concern here is horizontal forces..

As to where the 30 comes from :

F2 = m2/(m1+m2)*F = 20/24*36 = 30

Or more formally since you know acceleration for the system is a constant a, then you know that

F2/m2 = F/(m1+m2)

Hence

F2 = m2/(m1+m2)*F

where F is the total applied force.

1. What is the formula for calculating net force?

The formula for calculating net force is F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

2. How do you solve for net force using the F=ma formula?

To solve for net force using the F=ma formula, you will need to know the mass of the object and its acceleration. Simply plug in these values into the formula and solve for F.

3. Can net force be negative?

Yes, net force can be negative. A negative net force indicates that there is a force acting in the opposite direction of motion, causing a decrease in speed or a change in direction.

4. What is the unit of measurement for net force?

The unit of measurement for net force is Newtons (N). This is derived from the formula F=ma, where force is measured in Newtons, mass in kilograms, and acceleration in meters per second squared.

5. How is net force different from individual forces?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, resulting from the combination of all individual forces acting on that object. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of each individual force, resulting in a single net force value.