Question: How do I account for the wire below the loop when finding net torque?

In summary, the question asks to find the net torque on a square loop of copper wire carrying a 1.65-A current, located 50.7cm away from a long, straight wire with a 11.1-A current flowing in the positive x-direction. The equation for torque is n*I*A*B*sin θ, where n is the number of windings and A is the area of the loop. To account for the wire below the loop, the field B generated by a current carrying wire must be considered, which depends on the distance from the wire and the current.
nuagerose

Homework Statement

http://ezto.mhecloud.mcgraw-hill.com/13252699450881445581.tp4?REQUEST=SHOWmedia&media=ch28q44a.jpg
A long, straight wire has a 11.1‐A current flowing in the positive x -direction, as shown in the figure. Close to the wire is a square loop of copper wire that carries a 1.65‐A current in the direction shown. The near side of the loop is d=50.7cm away from the wire. The length of each side of the square is a=1.31m .

Question: Find the net torque on the loop.

Homework Equations

Torque = n*I*A*B*sin θ

The Attempt at a Solution

n, which is the number of windings is 1.
A is the area that the loop encompasses.

However, since there is a wire below the loop with current running through it, how do I account for that in the values of I and B and θ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is net torque on a loop?

The net torque on a loop refers to the overall rotational force acting on the loop, which can cause it to rotate around a certain axis. It is a vector quantity that takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the individual torques acting on the loop.

2. How is net torque calculated on a loop?

To calculate the net torque on a loop, you must first determine the magnitude and direction of each individual torque acting on the loop. Then, using the right hand rule, you can find the vector sum of all the torques to determine the net torque.

3. What factors can affect the net torque on a loop?

The net torque on a loop can be affected by a number of factors, including the magnitude and direction of the individual torques acting on the loop, the distance between the point of rotation and the force, and the angle at which the force is applied.

4. How does the shape of the loop affect the net torque on a loop?

The shape of the loop can affect the net torque by changing the distribution of the individual torques acting on the loop. For example, a loop with a larger radius will have a larger torque acting on it compared to a loop with a smaller radius, even if the force applied is the same.

5. What is the significance of finding net torque on a loop?

Finding net torque on a loop is important in understanding the overall rotational motion of the loop. It can help determine if the loop will rotate in a certain direction and at what speed. This is crucial in various applications, such as designing machines and analyzing the dynamics of rotating systems.