Finding net torque problem

• Thread starter Erenjaeger
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Find the net torque on the wheel in the figure below about the axle through O, taking a = 13.0 cm and b = 31.0 cm. (Assume that the positive direction is counterclockwise.)
pic: https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd...._=1470130918_26fa32f17821823200ba75439cef0a52
[/B]

Homework Equations

τ=f⋅d[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

just sum all for torque, I thought you could just go
τ1=9.0N ⋅ 0.31m = 2.79 n⋅m
τ2=10.0N⋅0.31 = 3.1 N⋅ m
but the torque component with the angle shown, I calculated it the same and then summed all the values of torque together, and it said it was wrong, so im assuming that you have to add something like a cosine or sine into that component because it isnt in a horizontal or vertical direction but 150° below the horizontal (positive x axis) any tips on how to solve this,????

Answers and Replies

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I calculated it the same
This does not actually show us what you did. Please specify the values you put in and the result you got.

This does not actually show us what you did. Please specify the values you put in and the result you got.
i dont understand how it doesnt show what i did? i completely explained what i did. the two net torques i gave how i calculated them and got 2.79 N.m and 3.1 N.m and said i did the same for the third component so obviously following that i went 12.0N x 0.13m which gave me 1.56 N.m, then i said i summed all my values for torque together, thus 2.79+3.1+1.56 which equals 7.45N.m but that value was incorrect. Does that explain it anymore or was there something else you need to know??

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
i dont understand how it doesnt show what i did? i completely explained what i did.
No you did not, you left out a crucial part, your computation of the last contribution and the final result. Haruspex has already given you a good hint. Try to interpret it and ask again if you still cannot work it out.