1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding net torque problem

1. Jul 31, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the net torque on the wheel in the figure below about the axle through O, taking a = 13.0 cm and b = 31.0 cm. (Assume that the positive direction is counterclockwise.)
    pic: https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd...._=1470130918_26fa32f17821823200ba75439cef0a52

2. Relevant equations τ=f⋅d

3. The attempt at a solution
    just sum all for torque, I thought you could just go
    τ1=9.0N ⋅ 0.31m = 2.79 n⋅m
    τ2=10.0N⋅0.31 = 3.1 N⋅ m
    but the torque component with the angle shown, I calculated it the same and then summed all the values of torque together, and it said it was wrong, so im assuming that you have to add something like a cosine or sine into that component because it isnt in a horizontal or vertical direction but 150° below the horizontal (positive x axis) any tips on how to solve this,????

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This does not actually show us what you did. Please specify the values you put in and the result you got.

4. Jul 31, 2016 #3
    i dont understand how it doesnt show what i did? i completely explained what i did. the two net torques i gave how i calculated them and got 2.79 N.m and 3.1 N.m and said i did the same for the third component so obviously following that i went 12.0N x 0.13m which gave me 1.56 N.m, then i said i summed all my values for torque together, thus 2.79+3.1+1.56 which equals 7.45N.m but that value was incorrect. Does that explain it anymore or was there something else you need to know??

5. Jul 31, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, you left out this initially:
    Think about directions (more precisely, "sense").

6. Jul 31, 2016 #5

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No you did not, you left out a crucial part, your computation of the last contribution and the final result. Haruspex has already given you a good hint. Try to interpret it and ask again if you still cannot work it out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted