1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding net Torque

1. Oct 13, 2007 #1

Evaluate the net torque about the pivot point for each of the following. For the third dimension, use a z axis pointing out of the paper.

a) a 3 m long, 95 kg uniform beam.

theres a picture to go along with it which I will describe as best I an

the 3 m long beams pivot point( P ) is at the 2 m mark. at the 3 m mark theres a force of 530 N pulling at 40 from the vertical, below the horizontal. I tried to represent that angle with a crude picture here. the \'s represent the 530N force.

edit: after posting I noticed that this picture didn't turn out at all. just imagine theres a straight line pointing down at the 3m mark and the force of 530 N pulling 40 degrees to the right of that line.

0m 2m 3m
    P | \
    | \
    | 40 \

So here's what I've tried but I'm not getting the correct answer.

I tried saying that if its a 95 kg uniform beam then that means theres a force of 95*9.8 = 931 N pulling down at it's center, the 1.5m mark .5 m from the pivot point. I tried adding up the cross products

(1m)(530N)sin40 - (.5m)(931N)sin90 = the wrong answer

I also tried replacing sin40 with sin50 thinking maybe that was the angle I should be using but it still doesn't give me the correct answer. That's as far as I made it with that question before moving onto the next one which also stumped me :)

b) a 5.5 kg ring spun on a shaft with 75 N of friction at the axle.

diameter of shaft = 8.5 cm
    diameter of ring = 36 cm

the picture shows a ring or wheel with a shaft through the center. there's a force arrow wrapping around the ring or wheel pointing to the right with 122 N.

Again I can't get the correct answer, I tried the same method as with the other problem... I'm not sure what I'm missing here.

rings radius is .18 m and the radius of the shaft is .0425 m.

so I did

(122 N)(.18 m)sin90 - (75 N)(.0425 m)sin90 = wrong answer

Can anyone please give a nudge in the right direction, what am I missing? thank you!

- Otis
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2007 #2
    I see why I had the wrong answer.. the answer sheet had errors. Sooo frustrating :D
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?