1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding net torque

1. Apr 17, 2005 #1
    I don't always pick up on little things in problems. In this particular problem, I am unsure of how to draw the picture when the car is rotated.
    Here is the problem:

In San Francisco a very simple technique is used to turn around a cable car when it reaches the end of its route. The car rolls onto a turntable, which can rotate about a vertical axis through its center. Then, two people push perpendicularly on the car, one at each end, as in the drawing. The turntable is rotated one-half of a revolution to turn the car around. If the length of the car is 8.20 m and each person pushes with a 195-N force, what is the net torque applied to the car? (Use the randomzed force given in red above for your calculations, not the 185 N force labeled in the figure.)

http://www.webassign.net/CJ/09_04.gif (That is the picture)

I am confused about how to use the "one-half of a revolution turn" into the problem. I know that one revolution is 360 degrees, and a half is 180 degrees. Am I correct in making that statement based on the one-half of a revolution turn statement?

Please help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2005 #2
    That sounds like a correct assumption to me. Anyway, I think you'll want to find the radius of the circle, and the torque will just be FxR
  4. Apr 17, 2005 #3
    do you mean radius = 8.20 / 2 = 4.1
    and then 195 * 4.1? I did that and got a wrong answer. I think I am missing something that you are trying to tell me.

Net torque.. so do I have to add those two forces * the radius?
  5. Apr 17, 2005 #4
    okay. dur. i got it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?