How to Calculate New Resistance in a Stretched Wire with Uniform Cross Section?

• Thread starter Steven7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between length, cross sectional area, and resistance in a wire. The equation R = rho*l/A is used to calculate the new resistance of a wire that has been stretched by 10%. The conversation also touches on the concept of conservation of mass and how it relates to the volume of a wire. Additionally, a question is asked about finding the length of a rod with a specific resistance, and it is determined that the cross sectional area of a thin shelled tube must be used in the calculation. "Carbon film on its curve surface" refers to a conducting layer on the surface of an insulating rod.
Steven7
A wire has uniform cross sectional and resistance R. Then the wire is pulled so that the length increases by 10%. How to find the new resistance? Assumption: The wire thins uniformly.

Physics news on Phys.org
What equation would you think to apply to figure this?

R=rho*l / A
I just don't get the part how the length of the wire affects the cross sectional area/radius.

Steven7 said:
R=rho*l / A
I just don't get the part how the length of the wire affects the cross sectional area/radius.

Don't you figure that there is a conservation of mass?

What happens to the volume of wire when you stretch it?

Volume = L * A

if the volume is constant, then if L = 1.1*L then A must equal A/1.1

I got it. I thought the increase of L decrease the r to r/1.1.
Can I ask another question about resistance?
A square carbon film of thickness 5x10^-7m, rho 4x10^-5 ohm m is formed on an insulator rod of diameter 3mm.What is the length of the rod so that the carbon film on its curve surface has a resistance of 100 ohm.

I tried:
RA/rho = L
100[3.142*(1.5mm+5x10^-7)^2]/4x10^-7 = L
But the answer is 1.18cm which is different from mine. Where did it gone wrong

Last edited:
Steven7 said:
I got it. I thought the increase of L decrease the r to r/1.1.
Can I ask another question about resistance?
A square carbon film of thickness 5x10^-7m, rho 4x10^-5 ohm m is formed on an insulator rod of diameter 3mm.What is the length of the rod so that the carbon film on its curve surface has a resistance of 100 ohm.

I tried:
RA/rho = L
100[3.142*(1.5mm+5x10^-7)^2]/4x10^-7 = L
But the answer is 1.18cm which is different from mine. Where did it gone wrong

Consider that your cross sectional area is the cross section of a thin shelled tube.

A = L * T = π * d * 5*10-7

So:

100Ω = 4*10-5 * L / (3.14*.003*5*10-7)

I'm sorry but according to your equation, I don't get the answer which is 1.18cm. By the way, I also don't understand the statement "carbon film on its curve surface" means. Do you mind explaining it?

Steven7 said:
I'm sorry but according to your equation, I don't get the answer which is 1.18cm. By the way, I also don't understand the statement "carbon film on its curve surface" means. Do you mind explaining it?

It's an insulating rod, so only the surface foil conducts.
If you unwrap the foil off the rod its cross sectional area is width (π * d) and its thickness is 5*10-7

Area then is W*T = (π * d) *( 5*10-7 ) = 3.14*.0003*5*10-7

Substituting into

R = 100 = p*L/A

yields

100*3.14*.0003*5*10-7 / 4*10-5 = L = 1.1775*10-2m

I struggle with A = π r^2 and you cleared those. Thanks a lot.

1) What is "Finding New Resistance"?

"Finding New Resistance" is the process of discovering and studying new methods of combating bacteria and other pathogens that have developed resistance to existing antibiotics and treatments.

2) Why is finding new resistance important?

Finding new resistance is crucial because it allows us to stay ahead of evolving bacteria and other pathogens that can cause serious illnesses and infections. Without new resistance, these pathogens could continue to spread and create widespread health crises.

3) What methods are used to find new resistance?

Scientists use a variety of methods to find new resistance, including screening natural substances for antibacterial properties, studying the genetics of bacteria, and developing new technologies to combat resistant strains.

4) How long does it take to find and develop new resistance?

The process of finding and developing new resistance can vary, but it typically takes several years from the initial discovery to final approval and implementation. This is due to the rigorous testing and safety protocols that must be followed to ensure the effectiveness and safety of new resistance methods.

5) What are the potential risks of finding new resistance?

While finding new resistance is important, there are potential risks involved. These include the potential for new resistance methods to also become ineffective over time, the development of new resistant strains, and potential environmental impacts from the use of new resistance methods.