What Are the Non-abelian Groups of a Given Order?

• Thread starter Jupiter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Groups
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for non-abelian groups of certain orders and how to determine if they are isomorphic. The existence and isomorphism of non-abelian groups of order 6 is shown, but for order 8, there are two possible non-abelian groups. It is mentioned that there may be a systematic way of finding non-abelian groups, but it is not yet known. The conversation also touches on the classification of finite abelian groups and the complexity of classifying non-abelian groups. Extensions of groups and direct and semi-direct products are mentioned as potential ways to find non-abelian groups of certain orders.
Jupiter
Given a group of a certain size, I'm interested in determining whether a non-abelian group of that order exists, and if so how many and what are they up to isomorphism.
For example, for |G|=6, the permutation group S_3 is non-abelian. How can I show that any non-abelian group of order 6 is isomorphic to S_3? Ican show that a given non-abelian group of order six must have 2 elements of order 3, and three of order 2. Now it seems reasonable that I can pair up these elements with the elements of S_3 and show that the two are isomorphic. But, when |G|=8, there are 2 non-abelian groups, D_4 and Q_8. How can I show that any non-abelian, order 8 group is isomorphic to one of these? I imagine as the order increases, the number of possible non-abelian groups will increase, so how is it that I can find them all?
Also, say I'm given a group of order 20. How can I construct/find a non-abelian group of that order?

Physics news on Phys.org
If there is a systematic way of finding nonabelian groups, I haven't learned about it. That ain't saying much, though. :rolleyes:

As far as "How can I construct/find a non-abelian group of ... order [20]?"

Well, there's the dihedral-10 group, which fits the bill. But you knew that already, I'll bet.

Given certain numbers, all groups of that order must be isomorphic. Those are primes and the squares of primes.

For other numbers one needs to consider extensions of groups.

There is always a non-abelian group of order 2n for n>2, the dihedral group.

It suffices to show that for any two distinct odd primes there is a non-abelian extension of one by the other, and also prime powers of order larger than 3. Off the top of my head I don't know that that is true, but it feels true. Try looking up extensions of groups in your favourite algebra source.

You are asking too much to know if there is a way of determining all the structures of possible groups of a given order. It is an open question for p-groups.

Ok, so I guess I know it's too much to ask, but I just learned how to classify all finite abelian groups, so I figured the next step was to ask what we can know about nonabelian groups. Concerning matt grime's comment that any two groups of order p^2 are isomorphic, I was under the impression that this is not the case. For instance, Z_p^2 and Z_p x Z_p are both groups of order p^2 but they are not isomorphic. Maybe you meant to say "abelian" rather than "isomorphic." But in any event, is this the most we can say about non-abelian groups - that at least one exists for each group of order 2n (n>2)? My motivation here was to try to use what I've learned in group theory to classify small groups (say <30 elements). This shouldn't be too hard since groups of order 1,2,3,4,5,7,9,11,13,15,17,19,23,25 and 29 are all abelian. So all that remains is 6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20,21,22,24,26,27,28.
I looked up "extension" in my text but it came under Chapter 10, "Field Theory." We're just starting ring theory today, so I'll wait on that.

Last edited:
apologies, I meant abelian, not isomorphic.

and the extensions you want arent' field extensions.

classifying possible structures of a given order is computationally very complex (but doable).

also see direct and semi-direct product - classifying certain kinds of extension is as hard as working out automorphism groups and homomorphisms into automorphism groups

Last edited:

1. What is a non-abelian group?

A non-abelian group is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements and a binary operation that combines any two elements to form a third element. It is called non-abelian if the order in which the elements are combined matters, meaning that the operation is not commutative. In other words, changing the order of the elements in the operation will result in a different outcome.

2. How is a non-abelian group different from an abelian group?

An abelian group is a special case of a non-abelian group where the operation is commutative, meaning that changing the order of the elements in the operation does not affect the outcome. In a non-abelian group, the order of elements does matter and therefore, the group has different properties and behaviors compared to an abelian group.

3. What are some examples of non-abelian groups?

There are many examples of non-abelian groups, including the group of 2x2 matrices with real entries and determinant equal to 1, the group of rotations in three-dimensional space, and the symmetric group of permutations of a set. Non-abelian groups can also be found in physics, chemistry, and other areas of mathematics.

4. Why is it important to study non-abelian groups?

The study of non-abelian groups is important because it helps us understand the structure and behavior of groups in general. Many mathematical and scientific concepts, such as symmetry, transformations, and quantum mechanics, are described using non-abelian groups. Additionally, non-abelian groups have many applications in cryptography, coding theory, and other fields.

5. How do you find non-abelian groups?

Finding non-abelian groups involves exploring different algebraic structures and identifying groups that do not satisfy the commutative property. This can be done through calculations and proofs using group axioms and properties. Additionally, there are specific techniques and algorithms, such as the Cayley table method and the GAP software, that can help in finding and classifying non-abelian groups.