How to Find the Normal to a ln Curve?

In summary, the conversation is about a question in an A-level math class, where the student is asked to sketch the graph of y=ln(3x) and find the equation of the normal and the value of q. The student is struggling with finding a solution for the equation ln3q + q^2 = 0 and asks for help on how to solve it. The conversation also touches on using the gradient of the tangent and normal lines, and the use of numerical methods for finding solutions.
Doc G
I was wondering if anyone could help me with a question I was trying to work through today in our A-level math class.

Homework Statement

a. Sketch the graph of y= ln(3x)
b. The normal to the curve at Point Q, with x coordinate q, passes through the origin. Find the equation of the normal and the value of q

Homework Equations

I don’t know which to use

The Attempt at a Solution

Part a was not too difficult and I was able to do that

However I have no idea how to tackle part b. I have only been able to express the gradient of the normal as -q, but cannot solve it. I think [but am not sure] that I can get to the equation

ln3q + q^2 = 0

but I cannot solve this.

I would be very grateful for some help.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you get that equation?

Since when the normal and the curve y=ln(3x) intersect, the x coordinate is q, the the y coordinate is thus ln3q.

And since the normal passes through (0,0), the gradient of the normal can also be expressed as (ln3q)/q

I believe also that the gradient of the normal can be expressed as -q, thus

(ln3q) / q= -q

Rearranging gives

ln3q + q^2 = 0

However I don't know any method for solving such an equation

Doc G said:
Since when the normal and the curve y=ln(3x) intersect, the x coordinate is q, the the y coordinate is thus ln3q.
Good
Doc G said:
And since the normal passes through (0,0), the gradient of the normal can also be expressed as (ln3q)/q
Would it not be better to express the gradient as;

[tex]m=\frac{dy}{dx}\ln\left(3x\right) = \frac{1}{x}[/tex]

[tex]\left.\frac{dy}{dx}\right|_{\left(q,\ln(q)\right)} = \frac{1}{q}[/tex]

Last edited:
Almost. That is the slope of the tangent line. The slope of the normal line is -3q

Thanks for the replies.

Okay we haven't really covered much differentiation of ln graphs yet, but using what hootenanny/HallsofIvy posted, should the equation therefore be

ln(3q)/q = -3q

giving:

ln(3q) + 3(q^2) = 0

is this right? and how could i solve that?

thanks again

Hootenanny said:
Good

Would it not be better to express the gradient as;

[tex]m=\frac{dy}{dx}\ln\left(3x\right) = \frac{1}{3x}[/tex]

It might be if it were correct. But it's NOT. 1/ x not 1/(3x). Think chain rule. I think Doc G's original equation is actually correct.

My mistake, stupid slips, duly corrected.

His problem doesn't seem to be finding the normal, etc. It's finding a solution to ln(3*x)+x^2=0 (I think this what he actually means by q). And I do think you can only solve it numerically. By inspection I would say you have a root just below 1/3.

Thanks, should I now attempt to find a close solution by iteration [we've only just covered the basics of which in class]?

And would the correct formula for which be:

[tex]x_{n+1} = x_{n} - \frac{\ln3x_{n} + x^2_{n}}{1/x_{n} + 2x}[/tex] ?i tried putting in the equation ln3q + q^2 = 0 into Newton's Method. Is this okay? - i don't really have a good understanding of this area of maths yet..

Last edited:
Unless this is a numerical analysis course I wouldn't open a second front on root finding algorithms. Either use some canned software or just do bisection to get a few decimal points if you want. This is easy enough to do with a calculator and a little patience...

1. What is the normal to a ln curve?

The normal to a ln curve is a line that is perpendicular to the tangent line at a specific point on the curve. It represents the direction in which the curve is changing most rapidly at that point.

2. How do you find the normal to a ln curve?

To find the normal to a ln curve, you first need to find the derivative of the curve using the rules of differentiation. Then, you can use the derivative to find the slope of the tangent line at the point of interest. Finally, you can use the slope of the tangent line to find the slope of the normal line, which is the negative reciprocal of the tangent line's slope.

3. What is the equation for the normal to a ln curve?

The equation for the normal to a ln curve is y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the normal line and b is the y-intercept. To find the slope, you can use the negative reciprocal of the tangent line's slope. To find the y-intercept, you can plug in the coordinates of the point of interest into the equation.

4. Why is finding the normal to a ln curve important?

Finding the normal to a ln curve is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the curve at a specific point. The normal line represents the direction of maximum change, which can be useful in various applications, such as optimization problems in mathematics and physics.

5. Can the normal to a ln curve be horizontal?

No, the normal to a ln curve cannot be horizontal. This is because the tangent line at a point on the curve cannot be vertical, and the normal line is always perpendicular to the tangent line. Therefore, the normal line must have a slope, and cannot be horizontal.