1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Orbital Period

1. Dec 6, 2007 #1
    Jupiter is 5.2 times farther than Earth from the sun. Find Jupiter's orbital period in earth years.

Equation to use is: T^2 = Kr^3

Radius of earth is 6378100 m and radius of Jupiter is 71492000 m.

I rearrange the equation to K = T^2/r^3 and set k of earth equal to k of Jupiter. I enter all of it including 5.2 times radius of earth into the equation. I solve for t of Jupiter but I always end up with 16.457 years when it should be 11.86 years. What am I doing wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2007 #2
    Can anyone help me?
  4. Dec 6, 2007 #3
    I dont know where you got those radii from, but you don't need them.

Use 1 earth year as T (earth) and 1 earth orbit as R (earth). Use 5.2 earth orbits as R (jupiter).

Plug these into T(earth)^2 / R(earth)^3 = T(jupiter)^2 / R(jupiter)^3

and solve for T(jupiter).
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  5. Dec 6, 2007 #4
    Thanks. Looks like it works but the only problem is that I know that I have to use the radii of the planets which is from the center to the edge of the planet. r stands for radius, not orbit so I don't understand why that's working.
  6. Dec 7, 2007 #5

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

The r stands for radius of an orbit, considered circular, not the radius of a planet! All planets are considered to be point masses in this treatment.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?