What is the order of the reaction for substance B?

• Thread starter leroyjenkens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a homework question where the website is not recognizing the correct answer. The person tried to solve the problem by dividing certain rows of values, but this method only works in specific cases. It is then pointed out that the reaction rate does not depend on B at all, which indicates that B is zero order in the reaction.
leroyjenkens
I've attached a screenshot of the internet page where the homework questions are, which shows the problem and my answers (It says I got A right, but B and C are wrong).

So I did this a few times with other tables and got the right answers, but this one is weird and the website isn't recognizing my answer.

So what I did was take the 3rd value of A, divided it by the 1st value of A and got 2 as the answer. I used those rows because A changes in those rows while B stays the same.

Then used the same rows to divide the 3rd row of the rate by the 1st row of the rate, and got 2 as my answer. 2 divided by 2 is 1, so the order is 1 for A. I got that one right.

Then I did the same thing with B. I divided the second row of B by the 1st row of B to get 1.666666667 as my answer. Then divided the second row of the rate by the 1st row of the rate to get 1. 1 divided by 1.66666667 = 0.6. It says that's wrong.

And the total order is 0.6 + 1, which is 1.6, which it says is wrong. The problem lies with the answer I got for B, but I don't know what I did wrong.
Maybe it has something to do with sig figs, but my calculator gives me an exact answer of 0.6.
Thanks.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 483
Physics news on Phys.org
In general, it does not work like that - the division gives the correct result only in some special cases, or if the order is 1.

As you can see in row 1 and 2, the reaction rate does not depend on B at all. What does this tell you about the reaction order?

Likes 1 person
mfb said:
In general, it does not work like that - the division gives the correct result only in some special cases, or if the order is 1.

As you can see in row 1 and 2, the reaction rate does not depend on B at all. What does this tell you about the reaction order?
Ohhhhh, of course. I didn't think about that. So that means the rate of the reaction is independent of the concentration of B, which means B is zero order. Thank you very much.

1. What is the order of a reaction?

The order of a reaction refers to the relationship between the concentration of reactants and the rate of the reaction. It determines how the rate of the reaction changes when the concentration of reactants is altered.

2. How is the order of a reaction determined?

The order of a reaction can be determined experimentally by measuring the initial rate of the reaction at different concentrations of reactants. Plotting these rates against the corresponding concentrations can reveal the order of the reaction.

3. What factors can affect the order of a reaction?

The order of a reaction can be affected by various factors such as temperature, pressure, catalysts, and the presence of inhibitors. These factors can alter the rate of the reaction and thus change the order.

4. Can the order of a reaction change over time?

The order of a reaction is usually constant under specific conditions. However, it can change over time due to changes in the reaction mechanism or the conditions under which the reaction is taking place.

5. Why is knowing the order of a reaction important?

Knowing the order of a reaction is crucial for understanding and predicting the rate of a reaction. It also helps in determining the optimal conditions for a reaction, designing efficient industrial processes, and developing new products and technologies.