Finding orthogonal vector

In summary, to find a unit vector that is orthogonal to both u=(1,1,0) and v=(-1,0,1), you can use the dot product to create equations based on the unknown vector (x, y, z) and each given vector. From these equations, you can solve for the values of x, y, and z, which will give you the desired unit vector. It is important to note that the dot product of two orthogonal vectors is always equal to zero.
kwal0203

Homework Statement

Find a unit vector that is orthogonal to both [itex]u=(1,1,0)[/itex] and [itex]v=(-1,0,1)[/itex]

Any help appreciated thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about the direction of the cross product of two vectors?

haruspex said:
What do you know about the direction of the cross product of two vectors?

Yeah, I see where you are going with that but I need to answer the question without using the cross product

Ok, so how about supposing the vector is (x, y, z) and obtaining some equations based on dot products?

haruspex said:
Ok, so how about supposing the vector is (x, y, z) and obtaining some equations based on dot products?

I could try that, how do I do it?

If you take the dot product with each given vector, what should the result be?

[itex]u\cdot v=(1,1,0)\cdot (-1,0,1)=-1+0+0=-1[/itex]

[itex]u\cdot v=\left \| u \right \|\left \| v \right \|cos\theta[/itex]

the dot product represents the angle between the vectors, is that correct?

No, I meant take the dot product of (x, y, z) (a vector intended to be orthogonal to the two given vectors) with each of them.

let [itex]x=(x,y,z)[/itex]

[itex]x\cdot u=(x,y,z)\cdot (1,1,0)[/itex]
[itex]x+y=\left \| x \right \|\left \| u \right \|cos\theta=0[/itex]

[itex]x\cdot v=(x,y,z)\cdot (-1,0,1)[/itex]
[itex]z-x=\left \| x \right \|\left \| v \right \|cos\theta=0[/itex]

[itex]x+y=z-x[/itex]
[itex]y=z[/itex]

something like this?

Last edited:
I don't understand what u and v represent in there. looks like in the first line they represent (x,y,z) and (1,1,0), and in the second line (x,y,z) and (-1,0,1). But then you deduce an equation based on u and v representing the same in both cases??
If two vectors are orthogonal, what is their dot product?
Edit: It's late here ... and so to bed.

Whoops, I fixed up the code. Does it look better now?

The dot product of two orthogonal vectors is equal to zero.

Ah, I figured it out... thanks for your help!

kwal0203 said:
let [itex]x=(x,y,z)[/itex]
It's confusing to have one symbol mean two different things, so I recommend that you don't use this notation. I'll use ##p=(x,y,z)##.

kwal0203 said:
[itex]x\cdot u=(x,y,z)\cdot (1,1,0)[/itex]
[itex]x+y=\left \| x \right \|\left \| u \right \|cos\theta=0[/itex]
You should write this as
$$0 =p\cdot u=(x,y,z)\cdot (1,1,0) =x+y.$$ No need to mention the angle between the vectors. Also, you're confusing your readers when you put the zero at the end, instead of at the beginning next to ##p\cdot u## which is equal to 0 by definition of p. (Edit: OK, I see that the thing at the end is also obviously equal to zero because the angle between the vectors is ##\pi/2##, but I still prefer to put the zero at the beginning, where no thought is required). You also left out an equality sign.

Similarly,
$$0=p\cdot v =(x,y,z)\cdot (-1,0,1) =-x+z.$$

kwal0203 said:
[itex]x+y=z-x[/itex]
[itex]y=z[/itex]

something like this?
Yes, something like that. But not that. First you threw away useful information from the equalities ##p\cdot u=0## and ##p\cdot v=0##, and then you incorrectly canceled x and -x from what you had left.

Last edited:

What does it mean for two vectors to be orthogonal?

Two vectors are orthogonal if they are perpendicular to each other, meaning that the angle between them is 90 degrees.

How do you find an orthogonal vector to a given vector?

To find an orthogonal vector to a given vector, you can use the cross product. Take the given vector as the first vector and any other non-parallel vector as the second vector. The resulting cross product will be orthogonal to the given vector.

Can a vector be orthogonal to more than one vector?

Yes, a vector can be orthogonal to an infinite number of vectors. This is because as long as the angle between two vectors is 90 degrees, they are considered to be orthogonal.

Is the zero vector always orthogonal to any vector?

Yes, the zero vector is orthogonal to any vector. This is because the cross product of any two parallel vectors is the zero vector, and the zero vector is always orthogonal to any vector because it has an angle of 90 degrees with any other vector.

Can you find an orthogonal vector in higher dimensions?

Yes, you can find an orthogonal vector in any number of dimensions. The process is the same as finding an orthogonal vector in 3 dimensions, but you will use more than 3 components for each vector.