Finding out a plane information

In summary, if you know two points on the line of intersection of two planes, you can find the normal of the second plane.
the_rising
Hello everyone,

I posted this question before also but did not get the satisfactory answer. So I am posting the question again with more specifications. My question is --- Suppose we have two planes intersecting in one line. Let one plane's normal be [3,4,2] and other plane's normal be [a,b,c]. We know the angle between the two planes as 60 degrees. We know one point on the intersecting line, suppose (7,3,4). Now with this information in hand, can we find out the normal vector of second plane ie [a,b,c].
All the responses are welcome.

Regards,

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not enough information. If the angle between the planes is 60 degrees then the angle between normal vectors is also 60 degrees. But there are an infinite number of (unit) vectors that make a 60 degree angle with [3,4,2]. Any vector on the cone making a 60 degree angle with [3,4,2] as its axis satisfies that.

HallsofIvy said:
This is not enough information. If the angle between the planes is 60 degrees then the angle between normal vectors is also 60 degrees. But there are an infinite number of (unit) vectors that make a 60 degree angle with [3,4,2]. Any vector on the cone making a 60 degree angle with [3,4,2] as its axis satisfies that.

--------

Thanks for the info...
If we know two points on the line of intersection, then is it possible to find out the normal of the second plane ?

If the planes make angle of 60 degrees at the point of intersection , then the normals also make the same angle, this condition will give you an equation in a,b and c.
Secondly, the normal of any of the two planes will be prependicular to the line of intersection of two planes.You can find the line of intersection by subtracting one plane equation from other.This will give you one more equation in a,b and c.If the equation of planes is not given , use the point on the intersection-line given .

Now make a quadrilateral of which two angle are 90 degree, one is 60 degree , find the fourth one , using this and some geometry find the length of the normal (for which u need the a,b,c) , this gives you the third equation.Solve the three variables.

BJ

the_rising said:
--------

Thanks for the info...
If we know two points on the line of intersection, then is it possible to find out the normal of the second plane ?

If you know two points on the line of intersection of two planes , you can derive the equation of the line , which will make your job easier.

BJ

1. How do I find out the make and model of a plane?

To find out the make and model of a plane, you can look at the tail number or registration number on the aircraft. This number is unique to each plane and can be searched in an online database to get information about the make and model.

2. What are the important details to know about a plane?

The important details to know about a plane include its make and model, year of manufacture, registration number, and any modifications or upgrades that have been made. Other important information may include the engine type, maximum range, and seating capacity.

3. How can I find out the flight history of a specific plane?

You can find out the flight history of a plane by using online flight tracking websites or apps. These platforms allow you to search for a specific flight number or registration number and see the flight history, including departure and arrival times, flight path, and any delays or diversions.

4. Are there any safety concerns I should be aware of for a particular plane?

Yes, there may be specific safety concerns for certain planes. You can research the safety record of a plane by looking at the Aviation Safety Network or the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) website. These resources provide information on any accidents or incidents involving the specific plane model.

5. Can I find out the maintenance history of a plane?

Yes, you can find out the maintenance history of a plane by requesting it from the operator or owner of the aircraft. This information may also be available through the FAA's Aircraft Registration Inquiry website, which provides detailed records of maintenance, repairs, and inspections for registered planes in the United States.