Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding out the concentration of an acid or base

1. May 7, 2004 #1
    Hello I really need help for working out the concentration of an acid / base.

1) How can we use a simple thermochemistry measurement and a density measurement, to find the concentration of an acid or alkali? (other than titration)

2) How do you devise an experiment to estimate the concentration of an acid / alkali?

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2004 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1) freezing point depression; 2) look at the question again --- most people include the answer in the question statement.

4. Nov 9, 2010 #3
    I have 1 question?

What is the pharmaceutical application of acid-base titration?

Can anyone help me please?

5. Nov 15, 2010 #4
    Freezing point depression/boiling point elevation is one way to do it. As far as density measurements go, simply measure the specific gravity. Concentration vs. specific gravity data is widely available in literature.

Another more creative way to measure concentration is by adding water to the acid and measuring the heat that is released.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?