Finding out the speed of sound

In summary: II is not an independent equation so it cannot be used to find V.In summary, the conversation discussed an exercise where A throws a ball to B by bouncing it off a wall. The solution involves considering the sound waves and using the Pythagorean theorem to find the distance traveled. The final calculated speed of the ball is 320 m/s.
Creed
Homework Statement
Two persons, A and B were interest to find out the speed of the sound in the air. They stand 40 m of a wall and 60 m from each other. The person B hears the sound that A said. And after 1/8 seconds he hears the echo created by the wall. Based on this measures, what is the value these two people obtained for the speed of sound?

Solution: 340 m/s
Relevant Equations
v = d/t
iiii10.png

d² = 40² + 60² ---> I

60 = V.t ---> II

40 + d = V.(t + 1/8) ---> III

Thanks in the advance. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
If A wanted to throw a ball such that it went to B by first bouncing off the wall, at what point would the ball need to hit the wall?

Likes Creed
In the middle of it.

I can see a reason for I and II, despite your lack of explanation, but not for III.
Maybe you can mark d on your diagram. I only know where d is from eqn I. I do not know the significance of d.

I wonder what the significance of the grey arrows is? B is looking at A and A is looking at the wall??
I think they are not the paths of the two sound signals.
Perhaps you should show the paths of the two sound signals.

But your approach is right. I think you need to be clearer about what's happening.
Also I can't get 340 m/s by your idea nor mine, so I don't know what they mean by saying it is the solution.

Edit: To get a speed of 340 m/sec when the difference in time is 1/8 sec, they would need a path difference of (1/8) sec x 340 m / sec = 42.5 m

Last edited:
Likes Creed
Thanks for helping out, Merlin 3189 and Tsny. I really appreciate it.

Well observed.

There's a mistake, the solution is 320 m/s. The grey arrows should have the end curved in both sides, so A is looking at B and B looking at A and A is looking at wall and wall is facing A. I'm sorry for the draw I had to made at the computer with limited resources.

I just solved the exercise.

With different approach using what Tsny asked me. We have to considered the sound wave bouncing back in the middle of the wall. And using the Pythagorean theorem to find out the distance of wave goes.
That is 50 m from A to middle point of the wall plus 50m from middle point of the wall to B, 100m in Total.

So if, first sound wave travels 60 m.
The second sound wave that goes to A to the middle point of the wall also travels 60 m. Therefore, there is only 40 m left to travel.

Therefore:

v = d/t <=> v = 40 / (1/8)<=> v=320 m/s.

Thank you again to both you.

Likes berkeman, TSny and Merlin3189
I did also wonder why you didn't get an answer from your 3 equations:
I ⇒ d =√5200 = 72.11
III ⇒ 40+72.11 = Vt + 0.125 V
⇒ 112.11 = 60 + 0.125 V
⇒ V = 8 x 52.11 = 417 m/sec

Likes Creed

What is the speed of sound?

The speed of sound is the rate at which sound waves travel through a medium, such as air or water. In dry air at sea level, the speed of sound is approximately 343 meters per second.

How is the speed of sound measured?

The speed of sound can be measured by using a variety of methods, such as timing the difference between when a sound is produced and when it is heard, or using specialized equipment that measures the velocity of sound waves.

Does the speed of sound vary?

Yes, the speed of sound can vary depending on the medium through which it is traveling. For example, sound travels faster through solids than through liquids or gases, and the speed can also be affected by factors such as temperature and altitude.

What is the formula for calculating the speed of sound?

The formula for calculating the speed of sound is v = √(γRT), where v is the speed of sound, γ is the adiabatic index of the medium, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

Why is it important to know the speed of sound?

Knowing the speed of sound is important for a variety of reasons, including understanding how sound travels and behaves in different environments, as well as for practical applications such as in aviation and sonar technology.