Finding particle data on the higgs resonance width?

  • Thread starter fliptomato
  • Start date
  • #1
fliptomato
78
0
Greetings--I'm looking for data on estimates for the Higgs resonance width and I'm not quite sure where to look. I've checked the "Review of Particle Properties" and the Particle Data Group website, but I couldn't find an estimate for the higgs width.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Flip
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
arivero
Gold Member
3,395
123
Hmm does it has sense? I mean, electron positron can aniquilate into a Z0, then the Z0 can decay into anything. How does it works with the higgs?
 
  • #3
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
20,854
4,808
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #5
James Jackson
163
0
It's graphed here:

http://acfahep.kek.jp/acfareport/node30.html

Some useful info for Arivero there too. For my final year undergrad project, I looked into Higgs self coupling processes, namely the following:

e+e- --> Z*
Z* --> ZH*
Z --> mu mu~
H* --> HH
HH --> bb~ bb~

It can couple to just about everthing, really...
 
  • #6
BenLillie
25
1
fliptomato said:
Greetings--I'm looking for data on estimates for the Higgs resonance width and I'm not quite sure where to look. I've checked the "Review of Particle Properties" and the Particle Data Group website, but I couldn't find an estimate for the higgs width.

The most recent review I know of is:

1) HIGGS BOSON THEORY AND PHENOMENOLOGY.
By Marcela Carena (Fermilab), Howard E. Haber (UC, Santa Cruz),. FERMILAB-PUB-02-114-T, SCIPP-02-07, Aug 2002. 87pp.
Published in Prog.Part.Nucl.Phys.50:63-152,2003
e-Print Archive: hep-ph/0208209

If you can find a copy, the Higgs Hunter's Guide is very good (I found one for $5 in an used book store! )

THE HIGGS HUNTER'S GUIDE.
By John F. Gunion (UC, Davis), Howard E. Haber (UC, Santa Cruz), Gordon L. Kane (Michigan U.), Sally Dawson (Brookhaven),. SCIPP-89/13, UCD-89-4, BNL-41644, Jun 1989. 404pp.
 
  • #7
BenLillie
25
1
arivero said:
Hmm does it has sense? I mean, electron positron can aniquilate into a Z0, then the Z0 can decay into anything. How does it works with the higgs?

Generally, people are just thinking of the Higgs total (or partial) decay widths. You can produce a Higgs resonantly in vector boson fusion:

W^+ W^- -> H -> X

where X is generally b-bbar or WW or ZZ (depending on the Higgs mass), although many searches use the gamma-gamma mode. The W bosons are produced by radiation off an incoming fermion (electron or quark, depending on the collider). This is one of the best ways to study Higgs properties at a linear collider.
 
  • #8
James Jackson
163
0
It can come from a singular off-shell boson too, though. That's another important Linac mode (specifically the Z*-->H*-->HH, and such like, self couplings). There's a TESLA design document about it kicking around. Ref [7] in http://www.newerawd.co.uk/report.pdf [Broken] has a URL.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #9
BenLillie
25
1
James Jackson said:
It can come from a singular off-shell boson too, though. That's another important Linac mode (specifically the Z*-->H*-->HH, and such like, self couplings). There's a TESLA design document about it kicking around. Ref [7] in http://www.newerawd.co.uk/report.pdf [Broken] has a URL.

How does that work? Do you mean Z* -> ZH*, (which is of course an important mode at the ILC)?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #10
James Jackson
163
0
Yes, that's exactly what I mean, and a process I was looking at last year.

Edit: To expand, I was looking at using neural networks to tag B decay jets, and using the technique to estimate the accuracy of the e+e- --> Z* --> ZH* --> mu+ mu- HH --> bb~ bb~ cross section measurement.

It worked, but clearly as the Z --> mu+ mu- branching ratio is rather small (3.6% or something like that, off the top of my head), the cross section was rather small, so the errors on just that technique rather large. Proof of concept worked though.
 
Last edited:

Suggested for: Finding particle data on the higgs resonance width?

  • Last Post
Replies
8
Views
560
Replies
3
Views
855
  • Last Post
Replies
5
Views
728
  • Last Post
Replies
9
Views
456
Replies
6
Views
684
Replies
140
Views
4K
  • Last Post
Replies
7
Views
813
  • Last Post
Replies
13
Views
1K
Replies
12
Views
617
Replies
2
Views
489
Top