Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding particle data on the higgs resonance width?

1. Jul 19, 2005 #1
    Greetings--I'm looking for data on estimates for the Higgs resonance width and I'm not quite sure where to look. I've checked the "Review of Particle Properties" and the Particle Data Group website, but I couldn't find an estimate for the higgs width.

Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2005 #2

Gold Member

Hmm does it has sense? I mean, electron positron can aniquilate into a Z0, then the Z0 can decay into anything. How does it works with the higgs?
  4. Jul 20, 2005 #3

Staff: Mentor

5. Jul 20, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

6. Jul 21, 2005 #5
    It's graphed here:

Some useful info for Arivero there too. For my final year undergrad project, I looked into Higgs self coupling processes, namely the following:

e+e- --> Z*
    Z* --> ZH*
    Z --> mu mu~
    H* --> HH
    HH --> bb~ bb~

It can couple to just about everthing, really...
  7. Jul 21, 2005 #6
    The most recent review I know of is:

By Marcela Carena (Fermilab), Howard E. Haber (UC, Santa Cruz),. FERMILAB-PUB-02-114-T, SCIPP-02-07, Aug 2002. 87pp.
    Published in Prog.Part.Nucl.Phys.50:63-152,2003
    e-Print Archive: hep-ph/0208209

If you can find a copy, the Higgs Hunter's Guide is very good (I found one for $5 in an used book store! )

By John F. Gunion (UC, Davis), Howard E. Haber (UC, Santa Cruz), Gordon L. Kane (Michigan U.), Sally Dawson (Brookhaven),. SCIPP-89/13, UCD-89-4, BNL-41644, Jun 1989. 404pp.
  8. Jul 21, 2005 #7
    Generally, people are just thinking of the Higgs total (or partial) decay widths. You can produce a Higgs resonantly in vector boson fusion:

W^+ W^- -> H -> X

where X is generally b-bbar or WW or ZZ (depending on the Higgs mass), although many searches use the gamma-gamma mode. The W bosons are produced by radiation off an incoming fermion (electron or quark, depending on the collider). This is one of the best ways to study Higgs properties at a linear collider.
  9. Jul 21, 2005 #8
    It can come from a singular off-shell boson too, though. That's another important Linac mode (specifically the Z*-->H*-->HH, and such like, self couplings). There's a TESLA design document about it kicking around. Ref [7] in http://www.newerawd.co.uk/report.pdf has a URL.
  10. Jul 21, 2005 #9
    How does that work? Do you mean Z* -> ZH*, (which is of course an important mode at the ILC)?
  11. Jul 21, 2005 #10
    Yes, that's exactly what I mean, and a process I was looking at last year.

Edit: To expand, I was looking at using neural networks to tag B decay jets, and using the technique to estimate the accuracy of the e+e- --> Z* --> ZH* --> mu+ mu- HH --> bb~ bb~ cross section measurement.

It worked, but clearly as the Z --> mu+ mu- branching ratio is rather small (3.6% or something like that, off the top of my head), the cross section was rather small, so the errors on just that technique rather large. Proof of concept worked though.
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?