Finding particular integrals

• Thread starter OllyRutts
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary: The complete solution isy'' = p*cos(x)+q*sin(x)+q*cos(x)y''' = p*cos(x)+q*sin(x)+q*sin(x)The issue I am having is equating the coefficients when after I have subbed them into the initial equation:-p*cos(x)-q*sin(x)-p*sin(x)+q*cos(x)=cos(x)Equating coefficients of sin x gives -q-p=0Equating coefficients ofcos x gives -p+q=1My question is why is-q*sin(x)-p*sin
OllyRutts

Homework Statement

(d^2y/dx^2) + (dy/dx) = cos xSo you have the trial solution
y= p*cos(x)+q*sin(x)
(dy/dx) = -p*sin(x)+q*cos(x)
(d^2y/dx^2)=-p*cos(x)-q*sin(x)

The issue I am having is equating the coefficients when after I have subbed them into the initial equation:
-p*cos(x)-q*sin(x)-p*sin(x)+q*cos(x)=cos(x)

Equating coefficients of sin x gives -q-p=0
Equating coefficients ofcos x gives -p+q=1
My question is why is
-q*sin(x)-p*sin(x)=cos(x)
= q-p=0and same for equating for cos x?

Thanks
Olly

Physics news on Phys.org
OllyRutts said:

Homework Statement

y= p*cos(x)+q*sin(x)
(dy/dx) = -p*sin(x)+q*cos(x)
(d^2y/dx^2)=-p*cos(x)-q*sin(x)
It's much simpler to write the 2nd and 3rd equations as
y' = -p * sin(x) + q * cos(x)
y'' = -p * cos(x) - q * sin(x)
OllyRutts said:
The issue I am having is equating the coefficients when after I have subbed them into the initial equation:
-p*cos(x)-q*sin(x)-p*sin(x)+q*cos(x)=cos(x)
Equating coefficients of sin x gives -q-p=0
Equating coefficients ofcos x gives -p+q=1
My question is why is
-q*sin(x)-p*sin(x)=cos(x)
= q-p=0
Because the equation ##(-p + q)\cos(x) + (-q - p)\sin(x) = \cos(x)## has to be identically true; i.e., true independent of the values of x.
So for the equation to be true for all values of x, it must be the case that the coefficient of cos(x) on the left side has to be 1, and the coefficient of sin(x) on the left side has to be 0, since sin(x) doesn't appear on the right side.
It's also true (and germane to my reasoning here) that the sin and cos functions are linearly independent. That is, neither one is a constant multiple of the other.
OllyRutts said:
and same for equating for cos x?

Thanks
Olly

OllyRutts said:

Homework Statement

y= p*cos(x)+q*sin(x)
Don't forget the possibility of solutions to the homogeneous equation, where instead of ## \cos x ##, the right side of the differential equation is equal to zero. The complete solution consists of the particular solution, (which you found), plus any homogeneous solution.

1. What is a particular integral?

A particular integral is a solution to a differential equation that is obtained by using initial or boundary conditions. It is a specific solution that satisfies the given conditions and is often used to find the general solution to a differential equation.

2. How do you find a particular integral?

To find a particular integral, you first need to identify the type of differential equation you are dealing with. Then, you can use various methods such as variation of parameters, undetermined coefficients, or the method of annihilators to solve for the particular integral. The method used will depend on the form of the equation and the given conditions.

3. Why is finding a particular integral important?

Finding a particular integral is important because it allows you to find the general solution to a differential equation. It also provides a specific solution that satisfies the given initial or boundary conditions, making it useful in real-world applications such as in physics and engineering.

4. Can a particular integral be unique?

No, a particular integral is not necessarily unique. Depending on the type of differential equation and the given conditions, there may be multiple particular integrals that satisfy the equation. However, the general solution to the equation will always be unique.

5. Is finding particular integrals a difficult task?

The difficulty of finding particular integrals depends on the specific equation and the methods used. Some differential equations have straightforward solutions, while others may require more complex methods. With practice and a good understanding of differential equations, finding particular integrals can become easier.