1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Percent Nickel in DMG

1. Oct 15, 2014 #1
    What I need to figure out:
    We did a gravimetric analysis lab and I have masses for the DMG-Ni complexes that we recovered but I need to find the percent nickel in each sample.
    Relevant Equations: I believe you take the mass of the DMG-Ni complex sample and multiply that by the mass ratio of Ni2+ over the FW of DMG. Then divide the result by the mass of the sample and multiply by 100%.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I did what I layed out above but I get the same percentage Ni2+ for each sample which doesn't make sense so I must have gone wrong. Any help would be great!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Please elaborate on the whole experimental procedure you followed.

Close, but incorrect. It is not about just DMG, but about molar mass of the whole complex (precipitate).

4. Oct 15, 2014 #3
    Right, I see so I use the molar mass of the Ni-DMG comlplex (288.9146g).

We basically used DMG and Ni2+ to form a complex and precipitate that out. From this we can determine the percent error by using the Ni2+ that we started with to find the accepted true value for the amount of nickel that we started with.

5. Oct 16, 2014 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You have still not explained why getting the same percentage Ni2+ for each sample doesn't make sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted