How do we find the period without using the amplitude?

• Thread starter Shinaolord
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Period
In summary: If amax = Aω2, then it should be true that vmax = Aω .( amax and vmax should both be positive. )Yes, correct, but for period the back of my book says t=v[max]^2/a[max]. That is all correct.
Shinaolord
This question has me completely baffled. So here it goes:A spring oscillates with a period T and an Amplitude A. Solve for period and amplitude in terms of a[max] and v[max]

My math always comes out with an answer I know is wrong. Can anyone be kind enough to assist me?Much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Shinaolord said:
This question has me completely baffled. So here it goes:

A spring oscillates with a period T and an Amplitude A. Solve for period and amplitude in terms of a[max] and v[max]

My math always comes out with an answer I know is wrong. Can anyone be kind enough to assist me?

Much appreciated.
Hello Shinaolord. Welcome to PF !

You really haven't given us enough detail to help.

Also, show us how you are getting your results.

That's literally all it gives you. It says to "solve for the amplitude and period in terms of a[max] and v[max]. It's purely conceptual, which I think is the hindrance. Does that Help?EDIT: Thank you for the welcome! Much appreciate, SammyS.

My results, via Algebra and substitution, is as follows:

a[max]=Aw^2, so A=a[max]/w^2
and V=-Aw, so V also =-(a[max]/w^2)w
which simplifies to v[max]=-(a[max]/w)
now, w=2[pi]/T, so v[max]=-(a[max]T/(w[pi])
so T=-v[max]w[pi]/a[max]
This doesn't seem right...Is my math or reasoning wrong? Am i just not seeing it?

Last edited:
Shinaolord said:
That's literally all it gives you. It says to "solve for the amplitude and period in terms of a[max] and v[max]. It's purely conceptual, which I think is the hindrance. Does that Help?

EDIT: Thank you for the welcome! Much appreciate, SammyS.

My results, via Algebra and substitution, is as follows:

a[max]=Aw^2, so A=a[max]/w^2
and V=-Aw, so V also =-(a[max]/w^2)w
which simplifies to v[max]=-(a[max]/w)
now, w=2[pi]/T, so v[max]=-(a[max]T/(w[pi])
so T=-v[max]w[pi]/a[max]
This doesn't seem right...Is my math or reasoning wrong? Am i just not seeing it?
If amax = Aω2, then it should be true that vmax = Aω .

( amax and vmax should both be positive. )

Doesn't it follow that ω = amax/vmax ?

Yes, correct, but for period the back of my book says t=v[max]^2/a[max].
This is all new to me, apologies if I seem "stupid"

Never mind I see

Sorry for do, my iPad won't let me edit

Shinaolord said:
Yes, correct, but for period the back of my book says t=v[max]^2/a[max].
That looks more like amplitude than period.

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{v_\text{max}^2}{a_\text{max}}=\frac{A^2 \omega^2}{A\omega^2}=A\ .[/itex]

Whereas we had   ω = 2π/T .

So, if [itex]\displaystyle \ \omega=\frac{a_\text{max}}{v_\text{max}}\,,\ [/itex] then [itex]\displaystyle \ T=2\pi\frac{v_\text{max}}{a_\text{max}}\ .[/itex]

What is the formula for finding the period from acceleration and velocity?

The formula for finding the period from acceleration and velocity is T = 2π√(a/v), where T is the period, a is the acceleration, and v is the velocity.

Can the period be calculated if only the acceleration or velocity is known?

Yes, the period can still be calculated if only the acceleration or velocity is known. However, both values are needed to accurately determine the period using the formula T = 2π√(a/v).

How does changing the acceleration or velocity affect the period?

Changing the acceleration or velocity will affect the period in different ways. A higher acceleration will result in a shorter period, while a higher velocity will result in a longer period. This is because the period is inversely proportional to the square root of the ratio of acceleration to velocity.

What units should be used for acceleration and velocity when calculating the period?

The units for acceleration should be in meters per second squared (m/s^2) and the units for velocity should be in meters per second (m/s) when using the formula T = 2π√(a/v). It is important to use consistent units to ensure accurate calculations.

Can the period be found using other variables besides acceleration and velocity?

Yes, the period can be found using other variables besides acceleration and velocity, such as displacement, force, or mass. However, the formula used to calculate the period will vary depending on the specific variables given.