Calculating Loan Payoff Periods with Excel NPER Function

• Thread starter IrinaK.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Log
In summary: I know the formulas. I just wanted to know which one exactly (with precise parameters) would be correct for solving this problem. That's it. Thanks again!In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an Excel function to find the number of periods/years for a loan with a minimum monthly payment of $125. The data includes a present value of $7,500, an annual interest rate of 18%, 12 periods per year, a period rate of 0.015, and a monthly payment of $125. The attempt at a solution involves using a formula for declining annuity, but it is not the correct formula and instead should focus on the amount owing after each payment. The correct formula for solving this problem
IrinaK.

Homework Statement

Hello!

There is a function in Excel NPER which gives the number of periods/years.

Here is the data:
Present Value = 7 500
Annual rate 18%
Number of periods per year 12
Period rate 0.18/12=0.015
Monthly payment -125

Task to find number of years to pay-off loan with minimum PMT of 125

Homework Equations

When I use Excel function, I get total number of periods during all years (based on period rate of 0.015) 154.65.
Divide this by 12 and get the number of years 12.88.

But when I do this manually, I can't get the right answer. Please, see my attempt below and correct the math.

The Attempt at a Solution

N = number of all periods during all years

125 x ((1 + 18%/12)^(12*N)) = 7500
(1 + 18%/12)^N = 60

1.015^N = 60

log(60) / log(1.015) = 278 periods
number of years = 278 / 12

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
IrinaK. said:

Homework Statement

Hello!

There is a function in Excel NPER which gives the number of periods/years.

Here is the data:
Present Value = 7 500
Annual rate 18%
Number of periods per year 12
Period rate 0.18/12=0.015
Monthly payment -125

Task to find number of years to pay-off loan with minimum PMT of 125

Homework Equations

When I use Excel function, I get total number of periods during all years (based on period rate of 0.015) 154.65.
Divide this by 12 and get the number of years 12.88.

But when I do this manually, I can't get the right answer. Please, see my attempt below and correct the math.

The Attempt at a Solution

N = number of all periods during all years

(1 + 18%/12)^N = 60

1.015^N = 60

log(60) / log(1.015) = 278 periods
number of years = 278 / 12

Thank you!
The two formulas aren't doing the same thing. Your first formula is a type of declining annuity formula. The second formula is for compound interest, in which $125 is invested and allowed to grow over a period of years.

BTW, the first equation you have in your attempt is wrong:
The exponent should be N, not 12*N. You corrected this in the equation just after this one.

Mark44 said:
The two formulas aren't doing the same thing. Your first formula is a type of declining annuity formula. The second formula is for compound interest, in which $125 is invested and allowed to grow over a period of years.

BTW, the first equation you have in your attempt is wrong:

The exponent should be N, not 12*N. You corrected this in the equation just after this one.

Thank you very much for your help. Could you, please, suggest which formula would be a correct one for solving this problem manually?

IrinaK. said:
Thank you very much for your help. Could you, please, suggest which formula would be a correct one for solving this problem manually?

You are not yet ready to apply formulas. First, you need to understand the process; only then should you look for shortcuts via formulas. That way, you will not try to use the wrong formulas, which is what you have already done.

To start: reason out the first few months: at time 0 we owe P0 = 7500. At a monthly interest rate of r = 0.015, we owe 7500*(1.015) = 7612.5 just before the first payment; after paying the monthly payment of m = 125, we owe P1 = 7612.5 - 125 = 7487.5, So at the end of the first month (after the first payment) we owe P1 = 7487.5. Now get the amount P2 owing at month 2 (after the next monthly payment) by applying the same operations on P1 instead of P0. Then do the same on P2 to get P3, etc.

You could actually keep going like that and make a table of the Pk values, up until the Pk goes from positive to negative. The answer would then be somewhere between those two time points. In fact, we would have P154 > 0 and P155 < 0, so the answer would be between 154 and 155. (In this problem, the Math and the Finance do not gibe perfectly, because the answer involves a fractional number of months---so something special must take place just before the loan is paid off.)

Anyway, if you translate the manipulations above into symbolic form, you will be able---eventually--to get a formula for Pn = amount owing after n payments. That would be what you seek.

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
You are not yet ready to apply formulas. First, you need to understand the process; only then should you look for shortcuts via formulas. That way, you will not try to use the wrong formulas, which is what you have already done.

To start: reason out the first few months: at time 0 we owe P0 = 7500. At a monthly interest rate of r = 0.015, we owe 7500*(1.015) = 7612.5 just before the first payment; after paying the monthly payment of m = 125, we owe P1 = 7612.5 - 125 = 7487.5, So at the end of the first month (after the first payment) we owe P1 = 7487.5. Now get the amount P2 owing at month 2 (after the next monthly payment) by applying the same operations on P1 instead of P0. Then do the same on P2 to get P3, etc.

You could actually keep going like that and make a table of the Pk values, up until the Pk goes from positive to negative. The answer would then be somewhere between those two time points. In fact, we would have P154 > 0 and P155 < 0, so the answer would be between 154 and 155. (In this problem, the Math and the Finance do not gibe perfectly, because the answer involves a fractional number of months---so something special must take place just before the loan is paid off.)

Anyway, if you translate the manipulations above into symbolic form, you will be able---eventually--to get a formula for Pn = amount owing after n payments. That would be what you seek.
Ray, thank you very much for your help. The only thing: I do understand the process very very well (and have tons of experience, and I good at constructing excel annuity tables), the only issue I am struggling with sometimes is math. So, I am doing my best to revive my basic math as well as math analysis, calculus, etc. Hard to do on one's own, but I do have a hope )))

IrinaK. said:
Ray, thank you very much for your help. The only thing: I do understand the process very very well (and have tons of experience, and I good at constructing excel annuity tables), the only issue I am struggling with sometimes is math. So, I am doing my best to revive my basic math as well as math analysis, calculus, etc. Hard to do on one's own, but I do have a hope )))

Well, I did try to guide you toward finding the correct expressions. A good start would be for you to follow the steps I outlined. However, instead of using numbers it would be better to use symbols such as P instead of 7500, r instead of 0.015, m instead of 125. So, if P1 is the amount still owed just after the first payment, we have P1 = (1+r)*P - m. Then, I suggested you find the amount P2 still owing immediately after the second payment, then P3 owing immediately after the third payment, etc. Have you done that? Please be assured that I made those suggestions because I judged that if you carried them out it would help you understand/learn the material.

BTW: if you do find P2, P3, .., I would suggest you expand them out, separating the parts that have a "P" in them from the parts containing "m"----that is why symbols, instead of numbers, are important in this exercise: they allow you to keep track of separate effects, which is important when you want to finally summarize everything using a "formula".

1. What is the purpose of finding periods through log?

The purpose of finding periods through log is to identify recurring patterns or cycles in a dataset. This can be useful in various fields such as astronomy, economics, and biology to understand the underlying processes and make predictions.

2. How do you calculate periods through log?

To calculate periods through log, you first take the logarithm of the dataset. Then, you plot the log values on a graph and look for repeating patterns or cycles. The distance between two peaks or valleys can give an estimate of the period.

3. Can periods through log be applied to any type of data?

Yes, periods through log can be applied to any type of data as long as there is some sort of pattern or cycle present. However, it is more commonly used for data that follows a logarithmic distribution.

4. What are the limitations of using periods through log?

One limitation of using periods through log is that it assumes a linear relationship between the data and its logarithm. If the data follows a non-linear relationship, the calculated periods may not be accurate. Additionally, periods through log may not work well for data with a lot of noise or outliers.

5. How can periods through log be helpful in scientific research?

Periods through log can be helpful in scientific research as it allows for the identification of underlying patterns and cycles in data, which can provide insight into the underlying processes. This can aid in making predictions and understanding complex systems. Additionally, it can be used as a tool for data preprocessing to transform non-linear data into a more linear form for further analysis.