1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding pH

1. Feb 8, 2006 #1
    I'm being asked to find the pH of a 0.050 M solution of NaCN.
    I figured out the expression to be x^2/ 0.050 -x, now all i need is a value for k, however I'm not given that value. I know the pH depends on the molarity of the hydrogen ion at equilibrium, however to find that I need to find x, and in order to find x I need a value for k. I would appreciate any help, thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The expression for what ?
    where 'x' is ...?
  4. Feb 8, 2006 #3
    He is talking about the equilibrium constant equation.
    Btw, i just finished coding a little simple program on finding the equilibrium constant.
    Just saves a few keystroked on the annoying calculator :) .

water dissociation const.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  5. Feb 9, 2006 #4

Staff: Mentor

pKa for HCN is 9.31.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
  6. Feb 9, 2006 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yeah, you should have been given the K value
  7. Feb 9, 2006 #6
    I didn't check my book very well, and so later I found a chart that had the Kb value, so I could just used that to divide 10^-14 to find Ka, since Kb x Ka = Kw (10^-14). Once that's done I could have just used that value, plug it into the equation, solve for x, if it passes the 5% test then take the -log of x and had the pH.
  8. Feb 9, 2006 #7
    I have no idea what pKa is... something with pressure? Thanks anyway though Borek. I got some help earlier, and was given the Ka constant, which was 6.2 x 10^-10.
  9. Feb 9, 2006 #8
    There is a very good chance that all of this is wrong. I am basically just trying this problem out for myself as a challenge, for I don't know what pKa is either. I'm guessing...

[tex]pKa = - log Ka[/tex]

[tex]9.31 = - log Ka[/tex]

[tex]10^{-9.31} = Ka[/tex]

[tex]Ka = 4.9*10^{-10}[/tex]

[tex]4.9*10^{-10} = \frac{x^{2}}{.050 - x}[/tex]

[tex]x^{2} + 4.9*10^{-10}x - 2.5*10^{-11}[/tex]

[tex]x = 5.0*10^{-6}[/tex]

[tex]5.0*10^{-6} = [HCN] = [H^{+}][/tex]

[tex]pH = - log (5.0*10^{-6})[/tex]

[tex]pH = 5.30[/tex]

Once again, I know that I am most likely wrong. I assumed that pKa = - log Ka. I also assumed that [HCN] = [H+]. I haven't learned about that yet; we just started acids and bases earlier this week in my class.

I'm interested to see how this problem is really meant to be worked out :wink:.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  10. Feb 9, 2006 #9
    Sorry, that was actually the Kb constant...so when you divide it out you get 1.6 x 10^-5 as Ka.
  11. Feb 10, 2006 #10
    pKa = -log(Ka)
  12. Feb 10, 2006 #11
    So my assumption was correct :cool:. So did I do the problem correctly after all?
  13. Feb 10, 2006 #12

Staff: Mentor

You guessed OK :)

Write the reaction equation - you don't start from HCN, you start with CN- - CN- will react with water to produce OH-. You are close, but you missed ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?