1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Phase change and spatial separation from known wavelength and wave velocity

1. Sep 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A wave of wavelength 75 cm has velocity 375 m/s.
    a. What is the spatial separation between two points that are 30° out of phase at a particular time?
    b. What is the phase change at a particular position for a time change of 0.5 ms?

2. Relevant equations
    u = λ / T

3. The attempt at a solution

a. I did not understand what the term "spatial separation" meant so I tried to use logic to understand it. The way I defined it was the distance (or Δx) between two points with Δδ = 30°. I understood that one cycle of the wave is 0.75 m and 360°. I didn't know whether the velocity changes at any point of the wave trajectory so I assumed it was constant throughout the propegation. So what I did was divide 360 / 30 = 12. I then divided the the wavelength by the 12 30° parts of the wave and got 0.75 / 12 = .0625 m. Not sure if that is the correct answer but unit-wise it made sense to me.

b. I used the formula u = λf and solved for f = u/λ = 500 Hz .
    then calculated δ = 360° * f * Δt = 360*500* (5*10^-4) = 90°.
    Not sure its right.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: finding Phase change and spatial separation from known wavelength and wave veloci

Looks good to me!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook