1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding phase constant in SHM

1. May 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A block of unknown mass is attached to a spring with a spring constant 9.00 N/m and
    undergoes simple harmonic motion, along the x axis, with an amplitude of 10.0 cm. When the
    mass is halfway between its equilibrium position and its maximum positive displacement, its
    velocity is measured to be +30.0 cm/s. Calculate
    (a) the mass of the block,

2. Relevant equations

??

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried using the x= A cos (ωt +∅) but i can't figure it out without time. HELP?? I know the answer is suposed to be m= 0.750kg but i don't understand how to get there.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is cos(ωt +∅) when the mass is halfway between its equilibrium position and its maximum positive displacement?

What is the formula for velocity as function of t?
    How is ω related to mass?

ehild

4. May 24, 2012 #3
    Since OP not interested, i find the problem interesting since i just started on SHM.

Using circular motion method.
    Since position is halfway between its equilibrium position and its maximum positive displacement,
    θ=60°
    VmaxCos(90-θ)=0.3 m/s
    Vmax=0.3x 2/√3

F=mv2/r
    m=0.9 x 0.1 x 3/(0.36)
    m=0.75 kg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook